A Milestone has been Achieved

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allow me by responding. No, this isn't the proper forum, perhaps, but all of us in here are friends and any are invited to contribute.

This is in the general chit chat and should be noted that this has nothing to do with the love we all have for making, drinking, or sharing our wine making amongst us.

We are all still adults and I hope this discussion can remaian on that level.

I respect greenpeace and what they are trying to do. I also respect the civil rights movement i`n the US and what they tried to do, and what they have accomplished. But I don't like either one of them. Sorry. If you want me to lie, I can do that, but, I wont.

I do have a PROBLEM, a big one, with groups like Greenpeace and other similar orginazations trying to get their point accross through "violent" means.

Ramming vessels at sea, blockading vessels from port etc. pisses me off. I AM a sailor. I spent almost 5 yrs chasing fish here in Alaska. I risked my life every single day to try and make a living. We did it legally in some of the most adverse conditions imaginable. We had Federal observers on board (US, most were scientists who monitored our catch), and more importantly our by-catch.(Thje non targeted species and how many where etc.)

When the target species quota was met we were shut down. I am sorry about the incidental catch, it happens. The fish and crab we brought back to port fed more than just us on the boat. Fisheries management is an argument all in to itself.

But let me tell you one thing. If anyone, for any reason ever jeapordized the boat I was on, or put me or the crew I fished with in danger because they want to save the world can kiss my POLLACK and fight me on the street and in an international court. How dare you put my already sorry,scared, freezing cold, eyes burning, wet butt at risk because you think you will change the worlds opinion. We will shoot back. You don't have to bet on it. We will!!!

I have been to Siberia and back and literally have seen waves as big as buildings, waves I had to make it through to come home. And I will be darned if some bunny huggin save the Earth hippie is gonna put my life in more danger than it already is because of their beliefs.

For those of you have seen "The Deadliest Catch". Thats me and those I fished with. Please don't F**K with me when I am trying real hard to stay alive anyway.

I said save the Earth and all that, I said nothing about hurting or putting others at danger to make your point.

I hope I have made mine.

There are those around me out there in the high seas who didn't make it back, they were all just trying to make a living, and I guarantee you every fishermen I have ever worked with or came accross cared more about the environment than anyone in Greenpeace or the other countless similar organizations.

Phew.!!!!!!!:D

I was on a Sablefish opening in the Gulf of Alaska, and it is absolutely certain the Killer Whales(Orcas) were responsible for eating almost 60 thousand dollars of fish off of our longline. 10 of that was mine. Did I shoot the whales, no. Instead we all, 5 of us gave $400 of our share (skippers idea) each to the marine wildlife sanctuary to study why they ate it , and to see whether or not anything could be done about it.

My view, to pretty to shoot, just money. Though as you can imagine, I would have shot them all. Seals, lil bastards are just as bad. Shoot them? Of course not. They're just trying to make a living too! Though deep in my evil heart, I say kill all of em. Stellar Sea Lions, lost count of how much money came out of my share to replace all the "floater bouys" they destroyed by playing with them and all the crab pots full of money we were no longer able to recover.

My point?

We can't save the world. At some point we all need to learn to co exist. If a fisherman shoots a seal from stealing from his net, I will have to look the other way. Hopefully another seal will tell the others there are oter ways. Probably won't happen, but when I go to sleep tonight, I would like to think it can.

Sincerely
Troy
:?

Last edited:
G, please don't get me wrong. If your daughter believes in that way so strong I support her 100%. As long as she realizes there are other ways to get your point accross. I admire her care for the environment and nothing can take away the recognition she deserves for feeling that way, I share the same. My only point was not to put others at risk to get your point accross.
:r
Troy

others weren't at risk to start with Troy, and if they were at risk.. they chose it.

My daughter makes her choices.. and she knows I don't agree with everything.. Especially French spies on NZ shores..

perhaps another conversation for a future time?

Allie

yeah sounds good G, didn't mean to get that deep, but somethings I feel strong about things.. At least I got the fingers loosened up for the next round.!:D

Take care, hope the day turns out well for you and you find many reasons to smile. Talk at ya later.
Troy
:h

Latest posts

Back