A little bit of overkill but it works

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbee

Reaction score
My wife and I stood waiting for the owner of our local wine makers store for over an hour waiting for him to return from a 2 hour lunch. I would have been POed except there was another guy waiting for him as well. We had a nice visit with him as we tested each others skills. He told me that he was too lazy to press his fruits. Mainly apples and pears. He said that it also took too long just cutting up into chunks. So he has taken an unused garbage disposal and mounted it to a sheet of stainless steel with tall legs. He can get a five gallon bucket under the disposal. He is processing a bushel of apples in a little over five minuets. When he is done, he just sticks a water hose into the top and rinses it out.
I told him that I would be concerned about ground up seeds but he told me that that was not a problem.
Brad

U R right!
Seeds are a big concerns as some can be toxic

I've seen the garbage disposal crusher idea online, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I wonder, along with the worries over the seeds, if it would contain any of the "processed" taste that you can sometimes get with a blender or food processor if you get over-zealous, with running it through a garbage disposal..

with my apple/pear spice, once the pectin and yeast had broken the apples down, i just kmeta'ed (is that a real word, lol) my hands and reached in the bucket and smooshed 'em by hand...wasn't too bad...

Latest posts

Back