A great summer so far

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luckily I don’t have any bird pressure no raccoons also. As long as I keep the berries in good shape I should have no problem with wasps.
What kind of pest-free Nirvana do you live in?🤣

My home is surrounded by hundreds of acres of marshland. Lots of raccoons patrolling every night. And if blackbirds are an issue I’m in trouble. By mid September I’ll have flocks with thousands of birds staging in the marsh for migration.

What kind of pest-free Nirvana do you live in?🤣

My home is surrounded by hundreds of acres of marshland. Lots of raccoons patrolling every night. And if blackbirds are an issue I’m in trouble. By mid September I’ll have flocks with thousands of birds staging in the marsh for migration.

My vines are loaded and I'm needing to drop fruit now and later. Though we've had the hoards of Japanese Beetles and an onslaught of black rot and Downy Mildew. The racoons have already tested the first Marquette that have turned. I haven't netted (soon) but I'm getting the electric fence in now. I expect the birds to arrive soon; last year the racoons beat everyone to the feast. I couldn't find bird damage because I couldn't find any grapes left.

My vines are loaded and I'm needing to drop fruit now and later. Though we've had the hoards of Japanese Beetles and an onslaught of black rot and Downy Mildew. The racoons have already tested the first Marquette that have turned. I haven't netted (soon) but I'm getting the electric fence in now. I expect the birds to arrive soon; last year the racoons beat everyone to the feast. I couldn't find bird damage because I couldn't find any grapes left.
I plan on having a full perimeter fence encompassing the backyard, garden and vineyard (~1ac total) installed by the time the grapes are producing. Four feet of mesh on the bottom for raccoons and four strands of high tensile above that for deer. I’ll have a couple of electric wires near the bottom to thwart climbers.

Dang fence will be the most expensive part of this whole operation.

All the neighbors have free roaming dogs which I believe helps keep the raccoons away, plus a neighbor shoots them whenever he can. For some reason there just aren’t any fruit eating birds around.

Very sad, hope you get a crop n this year.

Very sad, hope you get a crop n this year.
Thanks! It was a real light crop last year but it fattened the racoons. We have coyotes but apparently they have plenty to eat and have not reduced the racoon population.

Latest posts

Back