A few beginners questions....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just whipped up a 2 gallon batch of a dry mead last night.
now, locally, they only had 6 gallon primarys.

So instead I got a small 2 gallon pail, but to my knowledge it's not food grade. I didn't really think about this until this morning, how much is that going to affect it? Meaning, will it even be safe to drink?

Check with your nearby ice cream cone shop. They usually have plastic pails to sell/give away. The ones I got are 3 US gallons.

Steve

Its no problem to put a few gallons in a huge primary as headspace at this time is good for more 02. Ive never used a non food grade utensil so I cant say what if anything would happen in the small amount of time it will take for 2 gallons to be ready for carboy.

So I bought an 8 gallon fermenter (I'm hooked. I've made 3 batches of wine in 4 days) and I started a strawberry instant. I tripled the batch for a total of a 3 gallon batch. Now the recipe calls for one campden tablet. Since I tripled the batch I tripled everything else, but I didn't triple the campden. I was kinda thinking in terms of one tab per batch instead of one per gallon.
Is that true or did I make a mistake? It doesn't say how much one campden tab will actually treat.

one campden tablet per gallon of wine.. so you'll need three in that batch.

Allie

Hmm... I posted a reply this morning and it seems to have disappeared.
No matter. My concord is now in the secondary.
Now degauss... what is it and whats the best way to go about it? The recipe doesn't say anything about it.

If some one has a good post or article to link me that would be great.

Thanks.

I think you mean Degass.

What degassing does is helps to release any CO2 that is held in suspension within your wine.

There's many ways to do it, and I'm sure the more seasoned folks here can give you all sorts of great tips.

Unfortunately, for me, I'm currently using the manual stirring method.

Hmm... I posted a reply this morning and it seems to have disappeared.
No matter. My concord is now in the secondary.
Now degauss... what is it and whats the best way to go about it? The recipe doesn't say anything about it.

If some one has a good post or article to link me that would be great.

Thanks.

Many of the recipes floating around many use are very old recipes. For the normal winemaker that was to let it set and it would de-gas naturally with time which could be up to a year or better. In todays world everyone is in a hurry and with the advent of kits, the "quick" wine was developed. Many use the drill mount stir device that works great. Some use vacuum devices, some shake the carboy. If you don't de-gas, you will have fizzy wine.

Is there a reason I can't use Plastic secondary fermenters?

it seems to be common place that plastic is only used to primary.
If I could use plastic for secondary, I could make a lot more wine without having to make such large initial investments.

If you are referring to a water cooler bottle I would advise against for anything long term such as secondary use. They are oxygen permeable. Most say not to use them for a primary either but I have with no problems and don't buy into that bunk. I see nothing wrong with doing a primary fermentation on one. Now if you are referring to a bucket for a secondary, have to advise not to do that either. Too much head space for oxygen contact.

I agree with above post 100% and will add that if yor talking abot the better bottle all is fine for those but my guess is that you are not as they are not cheap either.

I have to use 5 gallon water bottles for secondary (no access to glass), However I cover /insulate them (except the airlock) from the light and keep them in coolers and over time just rack to another like vessel. My wine is coming out just fine - still too young to get the big bang, but no funny smells or flavors, other than that "young" feel. I try to let the wines clear on their won and bottle when completely clear (usually 3 -4 months at this point).

These are primarily fruit wines half and half with SunCal grape concentrate juice.

then there is the way i think

people made wine for hundreds of years(some of it very sought after and rare)with worse equipment than some of us have so im not too worried about my plastic stuff

woohoo!
I have secondaries.
So exciting.
ok here are some pictures:
aww it wont let me post links... well they are viewable in my new album in the gallery.

Anyways, I just racked the strawberry this morning. The little concord has been in a secondary for a few days now and is still bubbling strong.
I should be able to rack the mead in 2 days or so judging by its SG drop rate. It's really been slow in comparison to the others.
I got a good taste of the strawberry while siphoning, pretty good i "must" say. A little yeasty and fizzy, but that's ok. As long as there are no really weird off flavors I'm happy.

Ok. Now my concord is fremented to dry (and is it ever, kinda bitter almost). SG is .992 and holding.

Now if I understand correctly:
Stabilize, back sweeten, rack and re-rack until clear, degaus and then bottle.
Or not stabilize and clear, then back sweeten and clear again and then degaus and bottle.
Does it matter if I back sweeten right away? Is it recommended that I clear before sweetening? What and when do I need to add too it? (e.g. k-meta, sorbate, etc..) What are my dangers? What can I get away with and what do I need to watch out for?
I really don't want to make a stupid mistake and have an absolute mess on my hands that I could have avoided.

I've picked up on quite a few tips lately, but I'm not completely sure when and how they should be applied.

Thanks for all your help so far.

1st you want to DEGAS before adding anything. Then add k-meta and sorbate.
Are you planning on a f-pac? Is so do it here. If not then add clearing agents. Rack once a month till clear.
You can add simple syrup anytime before bottling.

Agree 100% with above post! You can sweeten at anytime as long as you have stabiized with both k-meta and sorbate.

Latest posts

Back