A couple of office rats with a dream to make wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winescribes

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all!

Very excited to have stumbled upon this resource and plethora of winemaking information..

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself and my story of how I fell in love with wine:
  • Graduated college with a Finance degree and worked in San Francisco doing Consulting and Tech sales from 2010 - 2017
  • Had a brief scare with cancer that made me think differently about life and realized that I wanted (needed) to travel the world and not be stuck in a rat race
  • Left the US early 2017, and started in Australia. While solo driving around Tasmania, I visited some wineries and found the process fascinating; even more so, the passion shared by industry peeps.
  • I was hooked. I began planning my destinations around wine regions - funding my travel via savings and remote work.
  • I went everywhere -- Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Italy, Austria, Germany, Slovenia, Croatia, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Chile etc.. learning by tasting!
  • On my second pass through Australia, I worked a harvest at a small winery outside of Yarra Valley.
  • A few months later, I started learning French and went cellar-to-cellar knocking in Burgundy and after many rejections, I locked down a harvest position at a small winery just south of Cote de Beaune.
  • I fell in love with a gal (whom I knew back in San Francisco) who shares my love and passion for wine and after realizing a similar goal in life, she left her corporate job in SF.
  • We worked a harvest together in the Santa Cruz mountains, making some incredible pinot and got engaged a few months ago.
  • We started a wine blog dedicated to world wine route planning and discovering small batch producers (the wine scribes dot com)
  • Now we are looking to fulfill our dream of opening up a small commercial winery.
We're eyeballing cool-climate regions in northern California, Oregon and Washington. Ideally we'd love to make pinot / chard and riesling along with some funky whites. Even with all the travel and three harvests, there is still so much to learn. We're making the most of our time on lockdown currently by taking courses from WSET, UC Davis and brushing up on Chemistry.

I'd love to get some hands-on viticultural exposure if anyone needs a hand in the coming months (CA, Oregon, WA area) -- if there's a better place to post this on the forum, please let me know.

Above all, I look forward to engaging with everyone on here as I'm sure we'll have a ton of questions along our journey.

Best,
Jesse and Cassie

Welcome to WMT! There are a couple folks in the region that may be able to point you in a direction. I think @NorCal and @CDrew are in your area or reasonably close by CA standards.

Again welcome.

Welcome. I’m up in the Sierra Foothills, where it is the antithesis of what you are looking for in terms of climate, but lots of nice wines are being made here. Frankly, since you have regional flexibility, I would avoid California due to not being business friendly and I think there are better Pinots coming from Oregon and Washington.

Latest posts

Back