A couple of general questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seeds of hope

Junior
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions. First, is it really necessary to de-gas when making wine from a kit? Won't the carbon dioxide be expunged over time anyway? If I choose not to do the vigrous stirring and wait, will I have an inferior result? (that's what I love about wine making....I can wait to do something and not feel guilty about it.)

Secondly, has any one had experience from Walker's Wine Juice? What are the pro's and con's froma product such as they are marketing?

Thanks...
Mark

It is sooooooooo important as your wine will not clear until it is degassed. Ive had a few wines not degas while bulk aging for almost a year! Kit wines unlike wine from grapes where you process them through a press dont get much if any of a chance for the gases to escape.

Runningwolf has a lot of experience with them. I just bottled a Riesling from them which is awesome and need to bottle the Rhubarb although I did sneak a shot many months ago and it was com ing along very nicely.

I am also convinced that you will have off-flavors if not degassed. My first few kits were not degassed well and they never tasted good at all.

I agree.

Its almost like a "metallic" taste to me...

My vote= Degass for sure!!!

I buy a lot from Walkers as Wade posted. There juice is good and balanced at 21 brix and ph is ok. You do have to watch the acid as in any Lake Erie wine. If you can do it, go for it.

It was the 5 gallon bucket of hot pack Riesling juice from Walkers Fruit farm. I just bottled it 2 weeks ago and its awesome.

Mike thats the process for packaging the wine so it doesn't spoil. I believe it's basically just like canning. This allows them to keep their juice for a long time and also to ship it around the country without the worry of spoilage.

Latest posts

Back