A Bold Heist

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that's interesting. I wonder how many vineyards insure their grapes and for what. Considering our growing season this year I could see it happening. 25K for 2 tons though seems really high.

I’m guessing they estimate about 1,200 bottles from that and an average of $20 per bottle.

Wow, if someone did that to my home vineyard I would legit grab a gun and shoot them to death. Because you can do so.

Anyways, that is going to really hurt the vineyard

Wait. What? Two tons worth $25,000? Even Napa's finest grapes are not not sold at $12,500 a ton. And this is Virginia.....

Maybe this is an "estimate" of finished wine value, which is different than actual value. That should be clarified.

Wait. What? Two tons worth $25,000? Even Napa's finest grapes are not not sold at $12,500 a ton. And this is Virginia.....

Maybe this is an "estimate" of finished wine value, which is different than actual value. That should be clarified.

I figure it is an estimate - most local wines start around $18-20.

Help me out here. I haven't used grapes so i can't visualize how big a ton of grapes is . Weight alone suggests a couple vehicles to haul.
And how quickly could they be picked? To pick load and haul how many people would you guess this involves?
Generally a successful heist of any kind requires both a quick in and out and as few culprits as possible. It seems unlikely this was one person and knowlage of access points and how to navigate the property coupled with a location to store/process them would narrow the suspect list.

A ton would fill up a full sized pickup truck bed. So yes you would need a team to accomplish this in a short amount of time. I don't know where the vineyard is that was robbed in VA but if the grapes are far enough off away from the highway and any other house you could get in and out in a few hours using led headlamps etc to pick them.

A ton would fill up a full sized pickup truck bed. So yes you would need a team to accomplish this in a short amount of time. I don't know where the vineyard is that was robbed in VA but if the grapes are far enough off away from the highway and any other house you could get in and out in a few hours using led headlamps etc to pick them.
A ton of grapes is s lot lol even 250 pounds looks like a lot. But yeah most likely at least 5 people with knowledge.

Latest posts

Back