A big Howdy from Texas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fathertom

Vega
Reaction score
Hey all:
My name is Tom, or Fathertom. (I am an Anglican clergy.) I live in the panhandle of Texas, in the high plains (4029 feet alt.) west of Amarillo on old Route 66. I have been making wines since about 1992. I owned and operated a homebrew shop in Sheridan, Wyoming, buying one in Bozeman, Montana, and having distributors in South Dakota and southern Wyoming. They were sold, and for 13 years, my wife and I owned a bed and breakfast in Central Wyoming. We sold it.

In 2010, my wife and I bought a Malbec vineyard in Uco Valley of Mendoza, Argentina. It hasn't made us a lot of money. But the Andes are beautiful, and the people of Mendoza are friendly and awesome.

In 2014, I began the viticulture program at Texas Tech online, and have since began the Commercial Winemaking program at Texas Tech. Most of my program is online, with some of it on premises in Fredericksburg, TX.

We lived in Wyoming until recently, when my wife and I bought a house in Vega, Texas. (She was transferred with the wind industry.) With the house came 3 acres. I am planting Cabernet Sauvignon and Vidal Blanc grapes, and a few northern cold climate grapes for experimentation. I also want to plant Tannat. I am hoping to dry some grapes and make a very complex wine from the partially dried grapes, as well as dried fruits.

So, I am excited to be a part of this forum. I have made lots of kits, and some wines from musts, as well as from grapes. I have a personal cellar that holds 440 bottles, and it is mostly full of my own wines, and collectables. I prefer reds, and of those Amarone is my favorite. Hence, I hope to talk about ripasso and other wines. Heck, as long as it is made with any artistic flare, wine is awesome.

Hope to see you around.
Tom

....Vega...you're out there in the Big Empty! Welcome from South Texas.

Looking forward to you sharing your lessons with us!

Welcome to the forum!

Reads like you have a lot of wine making experience. Looking forward to your sharing it with us.

A big howdy right back at you from the middle of west Texas. You have found a good group here.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of what you are doing in the spring.

Welcome! (From a Red Raider who now lives in the DC area. And has may 1% of the experience you do when it comes to making wines!)

Hey Bodenski:
Thanks for the welcome, and nice to meet you. Leesburg area is a wonderful area in Northern Virginia to visit wineries. I went to a national winemaker's conference there, and I fell in love with it. Lots of wineries mixed in with the history. You live in the place of my dreams. Have you visited any wineries there? It would be a fun weekend..

If you want a good hobby magazine that got me to Leesburg, it is WineMaker Magazine. Cheap and a great reference.

I look forward to conversing more. I love your area. And TT is an awesome school. I live in Vega, 30 miles west of Amarillo, and visit Lubbock, but I really love Fredericksburg, which is the renowned Texas wine area. Really 80% of all grapes in Texas come from Lubbock/Brownfield, and the high plains. It is a good climate for grapes.

Again, thanks.
Tom

Hey:
I do have a Master's, but you can edit my grammar, clarity and misspellings anytime.
Tom

Hey Temperance Owl:
I hope that doesn't mean you don't drink. I look forward to what we can all share with each other. Thanks for the welcome.
Tom

Besides God, wine is my passion. I am looking forward to what we all can share. Thanks for posting.
Tom

Thanks for the welcome. I have found this area not to be empty of anything. The people are the nicest I have met ever, and when you go any way from my town, there are canyons with so much beauty. And I am hoping that because of the climate, the diurnal daily temps, the wind, that this will be an awesome place to grow grapes, berries and produce wine. I really like it here. And Texas is awesome.
Tom

Thanks for the welcome. I have found this area not to be empty of anything. The people are the nicest I have met ever, and when you go any way from my town, there are canyons with so much beauty. And I am hoping that because of the climate, the diurnal daily temps, the wind, that this will be an awesome place to grow grapes, berries and produce wine. I really like it here. And Texas is awesome.
Tom

My daughter went to West Texas A&M, so I'm familiar a little bit with the Amarillo area. (She currently teaches music in small town West Texas.) I haven't hit too many wineries out here, but I've traditionally not been much of a wine drinker. But I'm getting into it :ib

Latest posts

Back