A Big Disapointment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbee

Reaction score
I have been holding onto a bottle of 23 year old Port that my uncle made. He has been dead for 8-10 years now. Port really trips my trigger so I have been holding on to it for just the right time. We had a few folks together last weekend and some of them are wine makers and others, true lovers of the vine. Well as soon as I put a corkscrew in I knew all was not well. The cork (natural) just fell apart. I pushed the little bit that was still solid on down into the bottle. I screened it on into a decanter. I had a taste and a good friend had a taste and down the drain the rest of it went. I know that it has always been stored on its side, but to no avail.
I was so looking forward to enjoying the fruits of my Uncles labors. So as titled "A big disapointment". Life goes on.
Brad

What could have caused that sort of a problem Wade? That really is a shame. It happens but any ideas on what may have happened?

Bad celar conditions for the most part, inferior corks next. There are many kinds of corks out there and many different levels of quality in some of those kinds. Natural cork can be good but there are a lot of crappy quality corks out there also. I use Perfect agglormate corks which are a blend of both natural and synthetic so you het the best of both worlds. Cork taint is not a problem with these but it also allowas aging of your wine like a natural cork does and there is no seapage like with a natural cork. Full synthetic corks require the use of at minimum an Italian floor corker and really dont let the wine breath so you will want to let the wine bulk age for quirte some time. the corks I use also have a slight coating on the edges which helps get the corks in and out easier. Here are the corks I use. # 2320B near the bottom.
http://www.finevinewines.com/Home-Wine-Making-Corks-Caps.asp

Bad celar conditions for the most part, inferior corks next. There are many kinds of corks out there and many different levels of quality in some of those kinds. Natural cork can be good but there are a lot of crappy quality corks out there also. I use Perfect agglormate corks which are a blend of both natural and synthetic so you het the best of both worlds. Cork taint is not a problem with these but it also allowas aging of your wine like a natural cork does and there is no seapage like with a natural cork. Full synthetic corks require the use of at minimum an Italian floor corker and really dont let the wine breath so you will want to let the wine bulk age for quirte some time. the corks I use also have a slight coating on the edges which helps get the corks in and out easier. Here are the corks I use. # 2320B near the bottom.
http://www.finevinewines.com/Home-Wine-Making-Corks-Caps.asp

So, how many bags of 1000 ct corks have you used¿

Latest posts

Back