a baffled -- and maybe desperate -- beginner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the risk of upsetting some folks I'd go so far as to say putting an airlock on a bucket with a plastic lid will tell you nothing.

The seals rarely really seal well even with new lid snapped down. Even if you do get it to really seal... Snapping on that lid is only making it harder for you to open and stir/punch down the cap.
Lay the lid on loosely and drape a towel over it or just leave it off and tie a towell down on top.
Your nose will tell you more about that ferment than an airlock on that plastic lid.

Good point about the nose scooter68. This is a thought coming from a novice. In the future bungie cord a towel around the bucket during the primary fermentation. From my understanding during the primary the yeast needs a lot more oxygen than during the other stages.

rely on your hydrometer for accurate readings but don't over think this ec 1118 is a very aggressive yeast and will ferment just about anything just give it time you should be able to hear some hissing if you put your ear close by or smell it fermenting....I have never had ec 1118 not ferment to finish.

Use the lid for keeping the bucket clean when not in use. A towel works great - I use a piece of plain Muslin cloth tied down with a piece of heavy yarn. Even if the foam rises up and hits the cloth, it compresses the foam and keeps it in.

Use the hydrometer but don't be afraid to taste. Sanitize a turkey baster (Star-san is the best - go buy some right now) and take a sample. You will be able taste that fermentation is taking place. The juice taste will disappear and be replaced with the alcohol/fermented taste. You taste soup or chili while you cook, same with wine.

bshef, After standing and jumping on the cover I was actually able to seal it.
I did add a pack of yeast and it made an immediate difference. I will continue to stir and hope for the best.
Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back