A 2020 Cab Franc journey with fellow WMT member

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I have to admit I'm more confused about pH than ever.

Here are my pH numbers from Sunday - before I pitched yeast or added any TA.

#1 Brute: pH is 4.06 (gravity 1.103)
#2 Brute: pH is 4.12 (gravity is 1.104)
#3 Brute: pH is 4.06 (gravity is 1.102)
#4 Brute: pH is 3.96 (gravity 1.104)

I just checked my pH and I'm shocked how low it's gotten. However, I did add TA to each Brute in the following quantities:

#1 - 200gm (scale measured) on Sunday a few hours after yeast.
#2 - 87gm (scale measured) on Monday evening
#3 - 87gm (scale measured) on Monday evening
#4 - 87gm (scale measured) on Monday evening

Here are my readings tonight on pH:

#1 - 3.41
#2 - 3.59
#3 - 3.55
#4 - 3.41

Can someone tell me the outcome of this? And, how did it happen? In only added enough TA to lower 2 10ths at the most. It's down significantly.

Some pics in sequential order:

IMG_1766.jpegB2FA6B8A-23CD-44A0-801D-E1A9B13B26F0.jpeg7E330FA4-D5CE-40E5-930B-BFCD7858D327.jpegIMG_1769.jpeg

The CO2 is skewing you’re pH downward at the moment. Just let it ride until it’s degassed. Then recheck later. Like in a couple months later. Remember, when adding TA. Always add 1/2 the amount you think you will need. You can always add more easily but it’s a PITA to try and remove it.

The CO2 is skewing you’re pH downward at the moment. Just let it ride until it’s degassed. Then recheck later. Like in a couple months later. Remember, when adding TA. Always add 1/2 the amount you think you will need. You can always add more easily but it’s a PITA to try and remove it.
Thanks for the info!

There is a mysterious (to me) factor of the buffering capacity (ability to resist change in pH) of wine, which will vary greatly batch to batch. Your adjustments are spot on and you should be patting yourself on the back.

Your glamor shots of your GHP is on point :)

As Mike said earlier, your pH readings are being affected Cy CO2 (carbonic acid) in your wine. Take a little must sample out, drop it into a blender and blend it for 30 seconds. Strain the clear liquid into a vessel and measure that, it’ll be free from CO2. Until your wine is totally degassed, the effects of CO2 will be present.

@NorCal is right about the “bounce back” of pH, I see it every year as well. I’ve always attributed it to juice being still locked up in the grapes, increasing the effects of the Tartsric additions on the juice that is free. As more of the juice comes free, the effects of the Tartaric additions are lessened, and the pH creeps back up. Just my theory, in addition to the chemical facts we already know about pH buffering.

Hi Guys - My Cab Franc was down to zero brix last night. I’ve had it in my garage at 78-86 degrees. Smells and looks great. PH is at 3.65. I did add TA to bring the PH down about .2

I had 2 batches of barbera 1) fermented in garage at 78-86 degrees and 2) fermented in basement room at 74-78 degrees. It seemed like the batch I did in the garage came out with more aroma and flavor, so I tried that with the Cab franc.. and strange, the PH I did in the garage is at 3.27, the batch I did in the basement PH is 3.17. Same starting point of 2.97 for both.

I figure I can also try blending the barbera and cab franc if the barbera doesn’t drop out enough acid during cold stabilization..One high acid other low acid, maybe a good merger.

Attachments

• F4C9483E-AA13-4716-A8A4-169064D6063D.jpeg
    F4C9483E-AA13-4716-A8A4-169064D6063D.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 10
The Avante will run through the remaining sugar with ease. I let mine go dry before pressing, whenever possible. Of course logistics and time availability always becomes a factor.

Where are you fermenting? Basement, garage, outside? I’m worried about gassing the dogs that sleep in the basement and the people upstairs. I don’t have a garage; may have to use the carport.

Where are you fermenting? Basement, garage, outside? I’m worried about gassing the dogs that sleep in the basement and the people upstairs. I don’t have a garage; may have to use the carport.
I'm fermenting in my garage, which is climate controlled. By controlling the ambient temperature I can generally keep the fermentation at a steady pace and prevent a proverbial freight train from running through the grapes. I suspect I'll be pressing on Sunday or Monday.

Someone with more experience might jump in here, but I don't think you have any fear of "gassing" anyone or anything from fermenting in your basement. IMO, there simply isn't enough C02 to have an adverse effect.

Last edited:
I'm fermenting in my garage, which is climate controlled. By controlling the ambient temperature I can generally keep the fermentation at a steady pace and prevent a proverbial freight train from running through the grapes. I suspect I'll be pressing on Sunday or Monday.

Someone with more experience might jump in here, but I don't think you have any fear of "gassing" anyone or anything from fermenting in your basement. IMO, there simply isn't enough C02 to have an adverse effect.
Only one time, when I fermented two tons in my garage at once was I concerned about CO2 build up. It was too much for the space without adequate venting. I‘ve never had an issue with a single macrobin 1,000 pounds worth.

Thanks all. That’s what I was hopIng but hated the thought that I might kill the dogs or us.

We traded some wine, so I hope he will share honest reviews.

Congratulations @NorCal on a FANTASTIC wine! We had the 2017 Bordeaux Blend this evening.

Initial and immediate impressions:

1. @NorCal must have filtered this wine as no noticeable residue found in the botlle post pour
2. Aroma wafting from the filling decanter on point with many commercial wines I enjoy
3. Nose: Dark fruit and a hint of chocolate spice. Maybe a little green pepper
4. First drink: “Dang, I hope my wine tastes this good!”
5. Friendly approach like walking though a patch of strawberries that gives way to real tannins lighting on the pallet like a flock of ducks lighting on the north pond at @Johnd ‘s family homestead ranch. Wait for it...1, 2, 3...bam! So smooth...
6. Color is classic Cab Franc...
7. @NorCal - I would buy this wine. At the risk of flattery, it’s amazing. Great job...

IMG_1777.jpeg

Congratulations @NorCal on a FANTASTIC wine! We had the 2017 Bordeaux Blend this evening.

Initial and immediate impressions:

1. @NorCal must have filtered this wine as no noticeable residue found in the botlle post pour
2. Aroma wafting from the filling decanter on point with many commercial wines I enjoy
3. Nose: Dark fruit and a hint of chocolate spice. Maybe a little green pepper
4. First drink: “Dang, I hope my wine tastes this good!”
5. Friendly approach like walking though a patch of strawberries that gives way to real tannins lighting on the pallet like a flock of ducks lighting on the north pond at @Johnd ‘s family homestead ranch. Wait for it...1, 2, 3...bam! So smooth...
6. Color is classic Cab Franc...
7. @NorCal - I would buy this wine. At the risk of flattery, it’s amazing. Great job...

View attachment 65614
Thanks @crushday.

Here is what I wrote about the wine a few years ago.

I have a 23.5 brix 60 gallon French oak barrel Cab Sauv that I’ve blended the $&#@ out of, to the point that the original Cab Sauv is less than 70% of the barrel. I did the blending because I just didn’t like the “greeness” of the low brix Cab. I threw Petite Sirah, Petit Verdot and a bunch of Cab Franc at it. In the end, I’m happy with it.

Latest posts

Back