.990 in sedcondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

English

Reaction score
Okay folks, here's the question. I've only been in the secondary for a few days, almost no activity in the airlock and the SG is .990.
This is a Pinot Chardonnay from a Cal. Con. kit. Is there a problem or is it possible that it's just about finished fermenting? Would it be safe to degas and fine? Or should I wait the full 13 days as instructed?

No problem, except maybe a lack of patience on the winemaker. :D

Wait the full time frame. This will allow some settling and hopefully a bit of degassing. Then rack off sediment and add the additives.

Steve

.990 and into the secondary sounds like maybe you left it in the primary a little longer than you should have. The only problem with this is that it sat on the gross lees longer than is desirable. Like Steve said, don't try and rush it, be patient and you will be rewarded.

Muscadine:

I don't think that letting a wine kit sit on the gross lees in the primary fermenter for a couple of extra days is a problem. Spagnols now recommends leaving their kits in primary for 14 days.

Months on gross lees, that would probably contribute some un wanted flavours.

BTW, these Vineco whites often reach .990 - .992 in 6-7 days for me. Of course sometimes they take 9-10 days to reach 1.000.

Steve

Well guys, I left it in the primary for 7 days as directed, moved to the secondary as prescribed. Just noticed that there wasn't any activity to speak of, in the airlock and decided to check SG. That's when the question came up. So is the majority opinion to leave it in the secondary for the instructructed amount of time? Should I stir during this time to aid in degassing? Or just leave the darn thing alone and be rewarded later?

Muscadine:

I don't think that letting a wine kit sit on the gross lees in the primary fermenter for a couple of extra days is a problem. Spagnols now recommends leaving their kits in primary for 14 days.

Months on gross lees, that would probably contribute some un wanted flavours.

BTW, these Vineco whites often reach .990 - .992 in 6-7 days for me. Of course sometimes they take 9-10 days to reach 1.000.

Steve
Yep! I agree.

Latest posts

Back