80L Vadai ?

Discussion in 'Barrels & Oaking' started by jburtner, Oct 8, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Oct 8, 2019 #1

jburtner

jburtner

jburtner

Hi, I'm considering an 80L Vadai for a cab sav / merlot blend. Would like to bulk age for at least a year+ and wondering whether folks think this might be too much oak?

Maybe I should do a smaller barrel and cycle the wine through it over 12-18 months?

80L = 22 Gallons.

Thanks for the input,
    Johann

2. Oct 10, 2019 #2

FTC Wines

FTC Wines

FTC Wines

Senior Member WMT Supporter

My. 2 cents. I have 2 - 40 liter Vadai barrels and a 23 liter one. I switched from 50 liter ones because they were too heavy for me to lift and they wouldn’t fit in my laundry tub. The 40 L ones fit fine and are a lot lighter. Also 2-6 gal car boys fit into a 40L with 1.4 gallons left over. For a year of topping off you will need that gallon of top off wine. Also I ran 3 different wines thru the new 40 L barrels for 3-4 months each, none were over Oaked in my opinion. Now I’ve had a wine in each barrel for a year, still not over oaked. But have they mellowed out. Another thought, with 2 - 40 L batches, keep one Cab and one Merlot then do bench taste tests to decide the best blend for you. Hope this helps. Roy

Boatboy24 likes this.
  3. Oct 15, 2019 at 4:07 AM #3

chitownwine

chitownwine

chitownwine

Has anyone bought a barrel from vadai recently or have talken to ruthie? Wanting to order another and their website seems to be down and her phone mailbox says full. Hoping things are alright there. R

4. Oct 15, 2019 at 11:47 AM #4

jsbeckton

jsbeckton

jsbeckton

I talked to her about 4 times over the last 3 weeks trying to get a shipping quote. She takes down my information and says she will call me back each time but never has.

She seems very nice but I think she may be having trouble managing things and not sure she has the help she needs.