8.5 Gal Bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Juice

Berry Juice
Reaction score
I found this 8.5 Gal bottle, Since all kits call for 6 gal, which Cab kit can I cheat on and make 2 - 5 gal batches?
I figure, out of the 10 gal batch, 8.5 can fill this one up plus a 1 gal, the remaining is usually lees anyway.
2018-09-18 09.23.05.jpg

adding to much water will only dilute the wine to something not tasteful. I would use this bottle to age wine from grapes. could also get two wine kits and use a smaller carboy for extra gallons.

How do you move this when it's full? It has to weigh close to 90 pounds. A couple of weeks ago I lifted a 70 pound carboy from a chair to a four foot high table. It was getting a little bit heavy from where it rested at 3'4" to the top of the table. An electric pump syphon system would come in handy.

I filled it up with water to measure how much it would hold and picking it up was a bitoch,,, just going to sit it on a some blocks when I get ready for bulk storage.

8B93ADAA-25D7-4B51-802E-8DE4AC4E85BB.jpeg Looks similar to a 34L demijohn without the basket. The basket’s handles are quite useful. And the volumes can always range a little bit.

They say the kits to bump down from 6gal to 5gal are typically the cheaper kits that come with less juice requiring more water.

Cool, I found some "everyday wine" cab kits from Master Vintner for $58, think I will order 2 of these to use

Might just cheat a little bit, just go ahead and make 5.5 gal kits. Make 11 gal and just have 2 gal jugs left over

Latest posts

Back