7th Annual MVWS Wine and Label Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtruetken

Reaction score
The 7th Annual MVWS Wine and Label Competition will be February 15th, 2015. Deadline for entry form and wines will be February 9th.

Last year, we had 370 entries from 13 states coast to coast and 2 Canadian Provinces. We are expecting more entries this year.

We will have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards for the eleven prize categories this year. The winner of the Best of Show and Winemaker of the Year Awards will receive an IntelliTank 23 complete setup. Medals will be given for Gold, Silver and Bronze.

We will also have a Label Competition this year with awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

For more information, click on the link to download the brochure 2015 Missouri Valley Wine and Label Competition Brochure or visit www.mvws.org for more information.

Last edited:
The 7th Annual MVWS Wine and Label Competition will be February 15th, 2015. Deadline for entry form and wines will be February 9th.

Last year, we had 370 entries from 13 states coast to coast and 2 Canadian Provinces. We are expecting more entries this year.

We will have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards for the eleven prize categories this year. The winner of the Best of Show and Winemaker of the Year Awards will receive an IntelliTank 23 complete setup. Medals will be given for Gold, Silver and Bronze.

We will also have a Label Competition this year with awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

For more information, click on the link to download the brochure 2015 Missouri Valley Wine and Label Competition Brochure or visit www.mvws.org for more information

Last edited:
You still have time to enter

The Best of Show and Winemaker of the Year in addition to winning the IntelliTank will also receive $75 in gift certificates.
1st Place in the other 11 categories is guaranteed at $100

jswordy,
Are you going to enter your bronze medal winners again this year or do you have any left?

I believe they were the Fry Scuppernong 95%/Darlene Scuppernong 5% and the Noble Muscadine 65%/Blueberry 35%. I tried that one and it was really good.

Jon,
Do you have any of your silver medal Sauvignon Blanc left? You did really good last year. Medaled 3 out of 5 wines. Outstanding.

TonyT,
What about you? You did extremely well last year. 2 medals out of 3 wines entered. One gold and one bronze. You have any of the Cab/syrah/merlot blend left?

Chris K,
Do you have any of our Lemon Wine that you won a silver on? I tasted that and it was yummy.

Joe,
Are you entering your coffee port again? Another year in the bottle and I bet it is fabulous.

Label Competiton

I just finalized the sponsors for the label competition

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]1st place - $100[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]2nd place - $50[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]3rd place - $35 [/FONT]

Many thanks to the following sponsors for their generous support
We have 19 sponsors. Please show their support

St. Louis Wine and Beermaking
Design2Brew
Bayfield Labels
Brewer's True Value
EC Kraus
Catalyst Manufacturing
Hobby Beverage Equipment Company
LD Carlson
Brew and Wine Supply
Curds and Wine
Vintner's Vault
Bottle Your Brand
White Labs
Carboy Cleaner
Fast Label
Landry's Seafood
Lallemand/Lalvin
Wyeast
Noontime Labels

And hopefully many more will jump on board.

Last edited:
Question for you Bob.

You don't have a separate category for kits but you do have a place on the label you attach for "Kit brand and Name"

Do kit wines get judged only against other kit wines?

Do they get judged head to head against wine made from fresh grapes?

Do the judges know they are tasting a wine made from a kit when scoring or is the tasting blind?

Question for you Bob.

You don't have a separate category for kits but you do have a place on the label you attach for "Kit brand and Name"

Do kit wines get judged only against other kit wines?

Do they get judged head to head against wine made from fresh grapes?

Do the judges know they are tasting a wine made from a kit when scoring or is the tasting blind?

The Kit brand and Name are only for posting in the results brochure so if you win a medal then maybe other people would use that kit. It is not printed on the label for the judges.

Kit Wines are judged head to head with fresh grapes.
Judges do not know they are judging a kit. It is a blind tasting. They have no idea if a Syrah they are tasting came from a kit or grapes.

I hope that answers your question.

Kits versus Grapes

To give you an idea how kits did against grapes last year.

This is based on whether a person listed their entry with a kit brand and name.

There were 79 entries listed as kits with 61 of those winning a medal. 5 gold, 18 silver and 38 bronze

There were 215 entries listed as grape entries with no kit brand and name listed with 142 of those winning a medal. 13 gold, 53 silver and 76 bronze

Updated Prizes

The Best of Show and Winemaker of the Year in addition to winning the IntelliTank will also receive $75 in gift certificates. Total value $320

The award for the 10 of the other 11 categories are 1st place ($100), 2nd place ($75) and 3rd place ($50). The exception is 1st Place in the High Score - Vinifera which is $125.

You have until Feb 9th to get your entry form and wines to me.

Last edited:
Awards for the 2015 MVWS Wine Competition

We have finalized the awards for the competition. At a minimum, there will be awards for the top 3 scores in each of the categories except Best of Show and Winemaker of the Year.

Best of Show - valued at $320
Winemaker of the Year - valued at $320
Red Grape, Vinifera - 1st ($125), 2nd ($75), 3rd ($50)
White Grape, Vinifera - 1st ($100), 2nd ($75), 3rd ($50)
Red Grape, American - 1st ($100), 2nd ($75), 3rd ($50)
White Grape, American - 1st ($100), 2nd ($75), 3rd ($50)
Red Grape, French American - 1st ($100), 2nd ($75), 3rd ($50)
White Grape, French American - 1st ($100), 2nd ($75), 3rd ($50)
Fruit/Grape - 1st ($100), 2nd ($75), 3rd ($50)
Fruit - 1st ($100), 2nd ($75), 3rd ($50)
Port/Fortified/Ice/Dessert - 1st ($100), 2nd ($75), 3rd ($50)
Mead and Sparkling - 1st ($100), 2nd ($75), 3rd ($50)
Herb, Spice, Vegetable, Flower - 1st ($100), 2nd ($75), 3rd ($50)

You have until Monday Feb 9th to get me the entry form and payment along with the wines. I understand that FedEx has a flat rate. I have received quite a number of entries via FedEx.

I have enclosed the brochure if you are interested.

View attachment 2015_MVWS_Wine_Competition_Brochure.zip

Bob,

FedEx package containing "steak marinade" coming your way and should be delivered to your front door today. (2/5/15)

Back