71B-1122, Just for Whites?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
Hi, is 71B-1122 just for whites? I pitched it in 5 gallons of Merlot (grapes), 5 gallons of Cab (grapes) and 5 gallons of Barolo (juice). Thanks

No, it's not just for whites. I have used it for reds but typically higher acid reds as I'm trying to reduce the malic acid.

I use this in fruits that have high malic acid - as it will partially metabolize and soften the wine.

I use it on white and red muscadines to reduce the acidity. In my particular case, I ferment the white muscadines on the skins because that's the only way I can get the juice out of them.

The best use of it is for those whites that have high malic like garymc stated. But you don't want to just use it as a standard culture for all whites. It's pretty impossible to use ANYTHING carte blanche. You need to know the characteristics of the grape or fruit you're using.

You sure would not want to use 71B on Niagara!!! It would make it taste like dishwater. Just because a fruit has malic on it doesn't mean you will want to reduce the malic. For example, we use 71B on Bartlett pear because the malic is so harsh in the resulting wine. But we don't use it on apple even tho it's a malic fruit because the acid on it does not come out harsh and you need that acid to add crispness. Peach is also malic and considered a white-style wine. But reducing the malic on that would result in more dishwater. Blackberry is VERY harsh and it's always desireable to reduce some of the malic to make a smoother wine. So don't just use it will-nilly. 71B is a desired culture when it has a PURPOSE. Design your wines by choosing the cultures that give you the desired result you're looking for.

Latest posts

Back