Vineco 60hrs and no activity from airlock? Concerning?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEasy43

Junior
Reaction score
I put my wine down on Sunday Feb 17th in the afternoon, but there has been no activity with the air lock after 60hrs should I be concerned? Everything seems tight and just replaced the airlock today thinking it could have been an issue. The temp of the room is about 73F and have done multiple wines before, so don't know what the issue is. Maybe there isn't an issue, so should I take a reading and see if it's dropping?

You should certainly get a measurement with your hydrometer. Most of the folks around this forum don't even bother with an airlock at the start. I am one of those, well except for white wines. The yeast can make use of the oxygen they get at this point and they are giving off plenty of CO2 to keep everything from getting oxidized. and if you don't agree with that answer, my second one is airlocks lie all the time. I never trust them, but always trust my hydrometer.

So I went home last night and checked on my wine. Opened the lid and it was fizzing a lot, so took a reading with the Hydrometer and it has dropped from 1.092 to 1.076. Also after putting the lid back on the airlock has been going crazy go figure. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back