60 Minutes: Effects of climate change taking root in the wine industry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was an excellent and comprehensive report. I noted the English medalists as they happened, and have been amazed at the progression there. I think the U.S. wine industry will, over the next 30-40 years, be growing at large vineyards in Montana and South Dakota, both of which have potentially interesting terriors if the climates moderate, as well as moving back into its formerly dominant Midwestern ranges, yet this time with European grape varieties. As conditions change, California will be in decline.

There are all points of view about climate change ,I think the one about dinosaurs poop the most interesting.
As far as grape growing goes they did it to themselves, and nature didn’t help.

But only in one direction: higher temperatures
Only in summer. On the news this morning it said there was over 9 ft of snow in California!
There has always been climate changes, although humans are helping it along more and more.Kids.JPG

"Scientific Consensus." Now there is an interesting oxymoron. Notable examples of this are, "the Earth is flat," and "the Geocentric Theory of the Universe." And what ever happened to the "Coming Ice Age" that a "consensus" of scientists warned us about in the 1970s?

Last edited:
You absolutely cannot point to “lots of snow in California” or “the dog dish froze last night” to refute global climate change! It’s climatic in scale… global averages. And it’s not about being wasteful. It’s about the amount of carbon being pumped into the atmosphere. And that graph has been going one direction since the industrial revolution… up. Up. And up. The complaint from “the kids” is that the generation in power right now (of which I am a member) refuse to do what must be done to head off the worst of the consequences. We need to get serious about “turning the tanker around” and that takes a lot of effort and time.

One of the most interesting points I heard in the 60 Minutes report was how wine making has been an important data point in studying the earth’s climate. I know of no product who’s manufacturing has been more documented over the centuries.

As much as I would love to opine about climate change, I think we’re dangerously close to this thread becoming political.

As much as I would love to opine about climate change, I think we’re dangerously close to this thread becoming political.
Unfortunately you are correct. Politics seems to taint just about every scientific discussion these days. So I’ll refrain from continuing to beat my head against the wall. Fini

Warning: Do not turn this thread political. If you don't think climate change is real. This forum and or thread may not be the place to hang out.
Whoa! Back up, there, Mike! Are you saying if we do not agree with you and your views, we are not welcome on this forum? Where is this in the rules of membership?

Climate change, global warming, global cooling or whatever the term du jour is, are not debated. Of course, the climate changes. It is not the same temperature day after day, week after week, year after year in a given location. What is being debated is what is causing the change. Personally, I don't know, and I have read the prevailing theories from many sides of the issue. Some seem plausible to me, and some do not. In either case, I have the right to my opinion.

There is a dangerous undercurrent in the Country to proscribe opinions that conflict with a given narrative. That was once considered a violation of the First Amendment.

You can believe in whatever you want. Politics are not allowed here. You can debate climate change as long as you leave politics out. I deleted post that started out snarky and then went political.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back