6 Gallon glass Carboys....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratflinger

3 streets from Hell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't 6 gallons!

Learned the hard way today that when moving from a 6g glass to a 6g Better Bottle I had 1 1/2 750ml bottles left over. Fortunately needed some top up wine so it was not wasted. Looks like it's time to invest in glass marbles!

I bet the glass carboy was Italian and had ribs on the sides. Right?

As i racked about 20 carboys of wine this weekend, it was quite apparent that the new Italian carboys are indeed bigger than the Mexican carboys. As I went from one kind to another, I had to be careful which I emptied to refill, because I either had too much for one or not enough for the other. Luckily it worked quite well as I was racking off bentonite and acid, so I was losing some. It all worked out alright and I ended up with just a bit less than I began with- probably only lost a couple gallons altogether.

WOW ! !
How long did it take you to rack 20 carboys??
I hope you rewarded yourself with a nice glass or TWO ! or THREE ? ? ? ...

20 carboys!!!!!! Whether they were Mexican or Italian, that is a lot of work. Surely there was some wine left over for those who labored in your vineyard?

tepe said:
WOW ! !

Wait..... I'm pretty good at math!!! Hang on..... let's see... racking 20 carboys..... Got it...

20 carboys= 20 glasses of wine or beer

tepe said:
WOW ! !

I did 10 yesterday and another 10 today. I did them in the morning and some carpentry work in the new winery in the afternoons. I may play hookey from drafting tomorrow and do another 10 and then some more carpentry in the afternoon. Actually I only have a bit more framing and then insulating the locked tax paid storage room.

I nver lack for wine........ I needed to sample the wine as I racked to make sure of no off flavors etc so I typically have a couple ounces from each carboy. The Steuben and Buffalo are unique and quite spicey. I did some Sabrevois in a blush and WOW is it ever delicious. Today I did some LaCrescent and St. Pepin. The St Pepin will be the best I have made of it so far, bursting with citrusy aromas and full of apple, pear,pineapple and grapefruit-outstanding. The LaCrescent is great as usual, but a bit high in acid. I may need to drop that a bit more.

Man it is hard to do my job, but somehow I struggle through.
smiley4.gif
smiley2.gif

Goodfella,
If appleman had a glass from each carboy he would NEVER finish racking..

one word comes to mind as I read your postand we all know what thatword isOBSESSION! YOU GO! This house is smelling like a whinery already and I only have 1 carboy filled and one fermenting bucket filled! And I must say it smells SO GOOD!

The Italian carboys tent to be about 750+ml larger than the Mexican ones

I just bought another glass 6 gallon italian carboy today from the LHBS.
So now I have 2 glass 6 gallon and 2 better bottles at 6 gallons each.
Go the MM Sauvingon Blanc Clearing in one and RJS Malbec in the other.
Those carboys sure are slippery when cleaning them though. I gotta definitely order some carboy handles. The Brewhauler that I bought is a godsend when moving the fully glass carboys around. I want a second one though. Those should be a must for the glass carboys.

xanxer82 said:
I just bought another glass 6 gallon italian carboy today from the LHBS.
So now I have 2 glass 6 gallon and 2 better bottles at 6 gallons each.
Go the MM Sauvingon Blanc Clearing in one and RJS Malbec in the other.
Those carboys sure are slippery when cleaning them though. I gotta definitely order some carboy handles. The Brewhauler that I bought is a godsend when moving the fully glass carboys around. I want a second one though. Those should be a must for the glass carboys.

I have those red handles on everyone of my carboys and I never let go of them when I am cleaning them. They really assist in lifting. I keep one hand under the carboy and one on the handle. Yes it does add another $6 to the price of a carboy, but when you consider the nightmare of dropping one and ending up in the ER its a small price to pay.
smiley14.gif

A $6 handle is cheaper than a new $40 Carboy! I have had several nearly slip right out of my hand while rinsing if it were not for the handle it would have been a shattering moment!

Any idea what the "true" size of a 5 gallon italian carboy is? Just wondering because a 5 1/2 gallon carboy would be perfect for racking after clearing.

I guess I should rephrase the question...

Does anyone out there who OWNS a 5 gallon Italian carboy have any idea on the true size? :)

Latest posts

Back