6 gal kit in 5 gal carboy??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencepost

Reaction score
First of all, I want to express my appreciate to all the experts on this Forum that have already answered a number of my questions... it is really great to have access to the knowledge and experience of the group, and who offers it up in a constructive and kindly fashion... hats off to you, chapeau!

I would like to do a wine kit for the first time... With your recipes and guidance, I have done Skeeter Pee (a favorite of most), Danger Dave's DB Blackberry (aging), a fig wine (that will get better according to those in the know) and a Blackberry... as well as Apple Cider. It's a great hobby!

I only have 5 gallon carboys... and want to do a wine kit that has 10 liters (Wine Expert Cab.)... I have read the forums, (a lot) and Tweaking Kits thread has plenty of info about a 5.5 liter kit (Fontana, Weekday Wine) etc... that says it's fine to do the 6 gal, 5.5 liter, kit to 5 gallons. But others say "Follow the Directions" and for a 10 litre kit, I am concerned it may not turn out as planned since it is twice the starting juice

As most any "noob" I am sure I am overthinking it.... but would like to get some input.... I know it is simple to just not use the juice but I don't want to be wasteful. From having read I am pretty sure I can do f-pacs, or add zest, raisins, or other tweaks... just don't know whether to do the 10 Litre WE kit (I can get with a gift card) in my 5 gal carboy or just go with Fontana, Weekday Wines, and tweak it to 5 Gallons.

Thanks in advance for all the words of wisdom... they are appreciate by all.

I've only done one kit. That in mind. If you do a 6 gallon kit to the directions I followed, you will rack off maybe 5.5 gallons into the 5 gallon carboy. Mine holds about 5.25 gallons. My next kit I'll rack the extra into quart mason jars and use my food saver to put them under vacuum and use it for top ups.

I'm thinking along a similar line. Make it to, ohhh, say 5.5 gallons, that is, withhold a little water (but not a full gallon). Fill up your carboy, and put the extra wine in bottles or jugs. (Pro tip: the "universal bung" shown below will mate to a bottle if you turn it upside down.) As 1d10t suggests, after rackings, etc., you may use nearly all the "extra" wine just to top off. Any extra, well, just drink it.

image_2958_x700.jpg

Holy smokes I never knew you could flip those upside-down for a bottle!!!!

Latest posts

Back