Other 6.5 gallon carboy for the sweeties.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJsBasement

All in
Reaction score
I was at my LHBS just figuring what to buy next and I seen 6.5 gallon carboys, the owner said people are using them for the sweet kits(large F-pack) up until you degas, that way you don't have to pull wine out to add your fpack and it gives some extra space for mixing and degassing. All sounds great but could one leave the wine in the 6.5g until it cleared or would that be too much o2 for too long. My guess is after degassing or even near the end is when the wine becomes susceptible, would it still be ok to use the 6.5 to mix and degas with then rack to the appropriate size glass for aging. Anyone tried this and want to save me that moment of "Right, of course that was gonna happen"

You shouldn't have any issue using the 6.5 gallon carboy for primary and secondary fermentation for the sweet kits (Island Mist...Orchard Breeze), any of the 30 day kits. My wine guy actually prefers using the 6.5 as a primary for all his kit wines (non-grape skin kits). You just have to monitor your headspace. Primary and secondary fermentation should produce enough CO2 to protect the wine. As long as you bottle a couple of weeks after adding the F-pack, the headspace shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't done a sweet kit in a while, but I would be more concerned about sanitation over headspace for a 30 day kit

Peace,
Bob

Personally I don't like the idea of using a carboy as a primary fermenter. Visions of wine foam coming out of the neck.

I also don't see the need of a 6.5 USG carboy for a sweet wine. The Italian 6 USG carboys are actually larger than 6 USG. In my experience, they are the right size for the mist wines.

Steve

The few kits that I have done all needed wine removed from the 6 to add in the fpack maybe I'm adding to much water at the beginning, I fill to the angle change line on a vintners equipment kit bucket. I have no reason to do primary in glass, I would just be using a 6.5 instead of a 6 for the very first racking from the primary fermentor bucket then 6 for aging. I'll probably grab one to try it out.

The few kits that I have done all needed wine removed from the 6 to add in the fpack maybe I'm adding to much water at the beginning, I fill to the angle change line on a vintners equipment kit bucket. I have no reason to do primary in glass, I would just be using a 6.5 instead of a 6 for the very first racking from the primary fermentor bucket then 6 for aging. I'll probably grab one to try it out.
I don't trust the marked line on a primary, I would measure it myself, but it sounds like it's been working for you.

It depends which 6 USG carboy you are using. When I ran an FoP, I used the Italian 6 USG carboys for mist wines. These are the only glass 6 USG carboys on the market today. The Mexican 6 USG carboys are as you described, needing some water to be removed.

Steve

Latest posts

Back