50 lbs of Scuppernong dropped in my lap last night..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

non-grapenut

Fruit Fears Me
Reaction score
What to do, what to do...MAKE WINE, of course! With 50lbs of these babies, I can make many varieties...any suggestions?

Not me I dont have any way of getting these, Saclait on the other hand might be able to help ypou as they are very close to Muscadines and I know he grows them and makes a very nice wine with them. Jack Kellar probably has a recipe for it. I would also look and ask on http://finevinewines.com/ as there are a few people there who make this wine and that is a very good forum to which I also mod there along with grapeman(A.K.A., Appleman there) Tom is a frequent poster there also who should be a Mod there.

Scuppernogs are a variety of muscadines. There are 40+ vareities of muscadines, all having a somewhat different character.
With 50#'s you can make a very flavorful 6gal batch of wine. Freeze them for about a week if they haven't already been frozen (I'm sure they have as the season has been over for 3 months). Thaw and mash as best you can (reserve 1/2gal juice for back sweetening) and place in a 10gal primary. Add 2 3/4 gals water, 8# sugar, (try to achieve a 1.085-1.090 S.G.) 1/4tsp K-meta. Wait 24hrs and add 5tsp. yeast nutrient and pitch yeast starter (I use 71-B). Proceed as with any other wine and use the reserved juice to back sweeten when completed. Sit back and enjoy.

Scuppernogs are a variety of muscadines. There are 40+ vareities of muscadines, all having a somewhat different character.
With 50#'s you can make a very flavorful 6gal batch of wine. Freeze them for about a week if they haven't already been frozen (I'm sure they have as the season has been over for 3 months). Thaw and mash as best you can (reserve 1/2gal juice for back sweetening) and place in a 10gal primary. Add 2 3/4 gals water, 8# sugar, (try to achieve a 1.085-1.090 S.G.) 1/4tsp K-meta. Wait 24hrs and add 5tsp. yeast nutrient and pitch yeast starter (I use 71-B). Proceed as with any other wine and use the reserved juice to back sweeten when completed. Sit back and enjoy.

Thank you, Sacalait! I can't wait to try this. Yes, these have been frozen..take up 1/2 my upright freezer..yeesh..good yeesh, though. Are Muscadines related to Muscat grapes? Just wondering...

Not sure but I think that's a whole nother breed.

I forgot to add, don't forget to add pectic enzyme.

Welcome aboard. Muscat and Muscadine are not related. Muscat grapes are Vitis vinifera species grapes (which covers almost every European wine grape) while Muscadine are Vitis rotundifolia species.

Oh yeah, You stink! :D Getting 50 lbs of free Muscadines. :db My free source got wiped out by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. I can't find freebies anymore and the Farmer's Markets around here want WAY too much for them here. I think they were like $3.99 a pound this year. :tz

Oh yeah, You stink! :D Getting 50 lbs of free Muscadines. :db My free source got wiped out by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. I can't find freebies anymore and the Farmer's Markets around here want WAY too much for them here. I think they were like $3.99 a pound this year. :tz

I KNOW--thus the 'naney, naney, boo, boo' post...last year, these things fell from the sky. I feel so blessed. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Last week a friend wanted to get rid of some blackberries cause he needed room in the freezer and asked if I'd like them. I ended up with 21gals or about 85#'s. I now have blackberry wine on the go.

DAMN !
You have your hip waders on falling into something so nice !

Muscadine and blackberries... wow... does that ever take me back to my childhood in South Georgia. When the muscadines and blackberries are ripe, getting lost in the woods is not a bad thing!
I hate you guys... jealous, jealous, jealous.
HB

Then dont ask what I paid for all the fresh fruit I got in the last 3 months.. Best deal 80#'s of PEARS = FREE
similar on all the fruit I got.
"It's not always WHAT you know
It's WHO you know"

Last week a friend wanted to get rid of some blackberries cause he needed room in the freezer and asked if I'd like them. I ended up with 21gals or about 85#'s. I now have blackberry wine on the go.

If you were closer, I would hit you up for a trade...oh, well. I love blackberry wine. Our wild crops didn't do so well this last season due to drought.

Latest posts

Back