5 US Gallon Carboy(s?) for 6 G kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am fairly new to wine making, and before getting started I purchased a mass amount of supplies from some guy in my town.

Although it still ended up being a fairly good deal, I ended up with four 5 gallon carboys (18.9 liters as printed on the bottom).

However my last two kits, and the one that is currently in primary fermentation, are all 6 gallon, 23 L. So needless to say, I missed out on over 5 bottles from each of my previous kits, and the chance of the later step ratios being off because of it only being mixed with 5 g.

As of now I am only seeing 5 Gallons for sale used near me, and would like to avoid buying 2 brand new 6 gallons if at all possible. Would I be able to split the mix from the primary fermenter into two glass carboys?

Or would this mess up the process because of the excess air in the carboys, being only about 2/3rds full.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

I'd just pick up a few smaller jugs. 1 or 1/2 gallon ones should do the trick.

Gallon if you don't mind topping up, half gallon if you'd prefer to avoid it and would rather have a reason to taste along the way.

Back