5 gallon Water Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive worked with plastics , and used to work for a plastic company. It really depends on how the plastic jugs are made. I could get into a highly technical answer about the composition about plastic, but this is a wine making forum..... and i wouldnt want to bore you.

If you are talking about a Better Bottle thats a different story then standard water bottle. They are designed better and are not air permeable.

Tell us what you know Greg, this has been an ongoing discussion/dispute for a while. We really want to know.
Troy

Yeah spill it because Knowledge is Power

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVKN_hwf890&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVKN_hwf890&feature=related[/ame]

See :D

Yeah Greg, whatever Con said !!!!, If you don't share what you know we will be dissappointed. I don't remeber who, but one of the members pointed out there has never been any scientific proof on the relationship between certain types of plastics and it's exposure to fermenting alcohol. Doesn't mean I'll "buy" any of it, but it is a long running discussions in these wine making forums. I personally was wondering if I could "bottle" my wine in screw top liquor containers for????? X months. We would all be curious to know. Please advise.
Troy
(P.S.) My buddy owns a huge bar here and is saving me al lhis bottles this weekend, so I am not to concerned about that stage, but I wish someone with a qualified knowledge of plastics would fill us in.

I an no expert on plastic or wine But my neighbor that got me started in this gave me some wine he made in 1994. Some was in glass and some in plastic brown 1.5 liter whiskey bottles. I could not tell any difference in taste

I am at work right now, but I will post a longer responce tonight. But one quick thing is "the better bottle" is specially forumlated and manufactured for wine making. So my comment above does not have anything to do with it.

I an no expert on plastic or wine But my neighbor that got me started in this gave me some wine he made in 1994. Some was in glass and some in plastic brown 1.5 liter whiskey bottles. I could not tell any difference in taste
My main point about plastic water bottles is that they are NOT designed to hold alcohol. Better Bottles and whiskey bottles ARE designed to hold alcohol. The plastic primaries that I use are designed for wine & beer making. (I don't use or recommend Rubbermaid Big Brutes.)

There are possibly millions of plastics out there. I strongly feel that you should not use them for a use that they were not intended for. I know that many winemakers do not agree with me. That is their choice.

Greg: I am NOT interested in the chemistry of plastics. But perhaps you can point out a link to somewhere that will cover Plastics 101 for those that are interested.

Steve

Not trying to say anyone should use anything.
just pointing out an interesting observation I made.

Since I am new I cannot post a link. Google "mat web" , its a great website to reference for data on plastics. Water jugs do have an absorption rate; therefore it will leave some "flavor" in the wine. It does not pose a health risk or anything so if you don’t mind the taste, it’s not an issue. Some company’s treat the inside of the bottle to help keep this taste to a minimum, while other company’s just care about making as many as they can. As CPFan says there are millions of plastics out there and each company uses there own recipe to make the plastic. While they might classify it as one type of plastic, there still are tons of variables while making it. If I end up sending anything to the lab for work or school, I will see if I can find a jug to take a sample of.

Anyhow I will try to keep my mouth shut from now on to avoid a dispute. On a side note today my boss has me working on a new type foam inserts for shipping wine bottles. Its pretty cool stuff!

Interesting site Greg. I did a search for "PET" on the site and got 540 hits. As I said I'm not interested in the chemistry, but from the hit titles it looks like PET can be carbon reinforced, glass reinforced, and/or mineral reinforced.

"wine PET" only got 3 hits.

My Dad (if he were still alive) would be fascinated by this.

The scary part about that site is, there may be 540 "types" of pet, but due to the chemical composition ranges, there are millions of variations due to the maker.

On a side not
This is a great example to use when you want to make your own equipment. Alot of people want to make equipment out of stainless steel, but there are thousands of variations, so make sure its food safe.

You can post a link in here Greg, whether your new or not. If the www is in front of it it'll show on your post.

While it might be nice to see the link, I think anybody who is interested will be able to use Google "mat web" as Greg suggested. Golly even I figured it out.

Greg is right. I believe that is a restriction to "slow down" the idiot spammers. Unfortunately, it occasionally interferes in a legit post. Greg will just have to make a few more posts.

Steve

Latest posts

Back