• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

5 gallon glass carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron4406

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a few for sale, would like to sell 5 or 6. Great shape! Upgrading to plastic and Speidel tanks. I'm about 30 minutes north of Allentown,Pa, and hour north of Philly, two hours west of NYC

Attachments

• carboys.jpg
    carboys.jpg
    705.9 KB · Views: 101
Hi , I am new to wine making so this is all new to me. You said 'Up Grading' to plastic carboys. I was thinking that glass is perferred over plastic. Can you explain? Thank you!

Meant upgrading to larger sizes. There are alot of old wives tales in winemaking I see repeated on here. I actually spend alot of time with professional winemakers. Finished wine is alot more resilient than most amateur winemakers give it credit for, so plastic is fine. I don't do long term storage in carboys anymore, just enough for the wine to clear. Then it hits a barrel or bottles. Dispite what you read wine ages fine in bottles as long as you keep the temp consistent. You also get micro-ox from the corks, it was though they leaked slightly but they have found the micro ox comes from oxygen trapped in the cork during manufacture.

Latest posts

Back