5 gallon carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
Brew store says a 6 gallon wine kit is as good if not better in a 5 gallon carboy,( less water) got an empty 5 would like to use

Brew store says a 6 gallon wine kit is as good if not better in a 5 gallon carboy,( less water) got an empty 5 would like to use
Not necessary true. Be careful as you will send the wine out of profile and increase the alcohol which can overpower the FLAVOR of the grape. Unless you are a experienced "Follow The Directions".
Kits are designed to give a good result if you follow directions. If you want a better tasting wine get a HIGH end kit.
You get what you pay for.

Tom is right! I have made many kits and make all of them in 6 gallon carboys. If you want a big taste get a big kit, you won't be sorry. I am sure there are a few reds you may be able to do this with But i am not sure which ones. Steve use to run a FOP shop and may have an opinion on this.

that makes sence, high alcohol is something I had not thought about

Alcohol isn't the only thing that can be out of balance. The acids are meant to be diluted to a certain level. Less water means higher acid.

and tannins could become concentrated too.

I've never done this, but it seems to me that *everything* would be somewhat concentrated and therefore remain in balance.

Sounds like an experiment is in order!

Latest posts

Back