48 hours and no fermentation!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJH89

Reaction score
I started a batch of Lon D's Skeeter Pee and I think I may have messed up the yeast starter because it's been 48 hours and there's no sign of fermentation in my primary. I did not have this problem with my 1st batch which was a strawberry wine. When I made my yeast starter I just added half a cup of hot water (my water heater gets our hot water HOT!) and a tbls of sugar in a cup with 2 packs of K1- V1116. I let it sit for 20 minutes and it got a nice big foamy head. Seemed like everything was working to me so I dumped it in my primary, mixed it up and closed it off. 48 hours later no bubbling from my air lock, no foaming in my primary nothing. I'm gonna give it another 24 hours I guess and if it doesn't start then I'd assume somethings wrong. Any input is valued, thanks

SG is currently at 1.070
Acid is sitting at 3.6

Last edited:
Acidity is going to be the main culprit I'm thinking, so if possible check the ph. If you added all of the lemon juice up front it will take some effort to get going , In my last batch of S.P. I did just that and it took a week and a second healthy yeast starter to get it to take off. keep the must above 70 degrees as well. good luck.

Acidity is going to be the main culprit I'm thinking, so if possible check the ph. If you added all of the lemon juice up front it will take some effort to get going , In my last batch of S.P. I did just that and it took a week and a second healthy yeast starter to get it to take off. keep the must above 70 degrees as well. good luck.

I edited my post and added the sg and acid. I did not put all 5he lemon juice in. Acidity is sitting at 3.6 right now

I feel it just takes a bit longer with this wine to take off, it is also beneficial to not keep under airlock during primary , a cloth over top of the bucket is best and give it a stir every day to help the yeasties breath, once S.G. is below 1.000 then airlock.

I feel it just takes a bit longer with this wine to take off, it is also beneficial to not keep under airlock during primary , a cloth over top of the bucket is best and give it a stir every day to help the yeasties breath, once S.G. is below 1.000 then airlock.

I have seen people say that Skeeter pee usually takes longer for the fermentation to take off. I hope that's all it is. Lon D's recipe did call for 7 cups of sugar and an sg of 1.070. It took me 9 cups of sugar to get that sg reading so if fermentation doesn't start I would assume it could possibly be from sugar shock. How many days should I let my batch sit before I try and start messing with it? And what is the protocol trying to get it started when having issues?

Patients is a must when it comes to wine, give it a couple days and if nothing happening pitch another yeast starter.
Good deal. Does putting that much yest in effect taste? Obviously I'll do it to save my batch, but just wondering what the effects would be from a delayed batch or multiple yeast drops.

I started a batch of Lon D's Skeeter Pee and I think I may have messed up the yeast starter because it's been 48 hours and there's no sign of fermentation in my primary. I did not have this problem with my 1st batch which was a strawberry wine. When I made my yeast starter I just added half a cup of hot water (my water heater gets our hot water HOT!) and a tbls of sugar in a cup with 2 packs of K1- V1116. I let it sit for 20 minutes and it got a nice big foamy head. Seemed like everything was working to me so I dumped it in my primary, mixed it up and closed it off. 48 hours later no bubbling from my air lock, no foaming in my primary nothing. I'm gonna give it another 24 hours I guess and if it doesn't start then I'd assume somethings wrong. Any input is valued, thanks

SG is currently at 1.070
Acid is sitting at 3.6
You can kill yeast if your water's too hot; if nothings happening you can sprinkle the yeast next time. Foam and bubbles are not an indication of fermentation so check with your hydrometer.

and to add,, no sugar shock, lol, um, they call me a sweet tooth,,, i add way more sugar than that with out problems, now beings i ain't right in the head, i use for SP,,, EC-1118 as my yeast, and for SP,,,, K1V-1116 will work fine as well
Dawg

Last edited:
and to add,, no sugar shock, lol, um, they call me a sweet tooth,,, i add way more sugar than that with out problems, now beings i ain't right in the head, i use for SP EC-1118 as my yeast, and for SP K1V-1116 will work fine as well
Dawg
Oh, okay. I had heard that too much sugar can cause a stall. Not gonna lie I thought I was a "dry drinker" so to speak, but after my first batch that you and a bunch of other veterans in this site helped me out with i've found I'm a hot wine sweet tooth, lol.

You can kill yeast if your water's too hot; if nothings happening you can sprinkle the yeast next time. Foam and bubbles are not an indication of fermentation so check with your hydrometer.
Valid point, one thing I am 100% on is the water wasn't too hot. My water heater gets hot, but not like that. I'm wondering if it wasn't hot enough, yet it seemed to be cultivating like crazy in my starter glass

Oh, okay. I had heard that too much sugar can cause a stall. Not gonna lie I thought I was a "dry drinker" so to speak, but after my first batch that you and a bunch of other veterans in this site helped me out with i've found I'm a hot wine sweet tooth, lol.
grapes are done many ways to get certain styles, but fruits and berries takes back sweetening to bring out your flavor,
Dawg

BTW
good to have another hot and sweet drinker on here, I've learned that if you add enough fruit or berry per gallon then you can make 18 ABV with no hot taste to it, any wine i make, will buzz you good on the first glass, i don't party any more, but to kick back and drink a really tasteful drink and get that all's well buzz to relax you out, is a nice aspect for evening time,

Try this technique to rehydrate the yeast in preparation to pitching it: Add the yeast (one packet) to one cup of warm water (100℉ +/- 5℉), add a pinch of yeast nutrient. If in 30 minutes it looks to be foamy, proceed. At the 4 hour mark add ¼ cup of water. Another 4 hours later add ¼ cup of wine must. Another 4 hours add ½ cup of wine must, another 4 hours pitch the yeast. What you are doing is waking up the yeast and allowing it to multiply, by adding wine must you are adapting the yeast to the wine must environment. After 20 hours there are a lot of yeast bodies to work on the wine. I got this technique from winemaker Jack Keller.

72 hours and still nothing! I'm hoping overnight this puppy kicks in but it doesn't look hopeful 😩 I guess tomorrow I'll be dropping in another yeast starter if she doesn't go

I've had to water down a little and adjust gravity/sugar to reduce acid to get things going, but if your at ph 3.6 I feel it will happen in a day or so.

Last night I pitched another yeast starter at 11pm (I had a long work day). Just checked it at 10am. SG reads the same 1.070. Here's a reading of the acid. Not sure how accurate these paper straps are but still looks like a 3.6 to me. Hopefully it takes off in the next 12-24 hours or else I'll be splitting my must like @hounddawg said or maybe @mikewatkins727 method. Those sound promising.

Attachments

• 20210331_095943.jpg
    20210331_095943.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back