4 wines from one grape this season?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I need to take the foot off the winemaking gas pedal and scale things down this next year. That doesn’t mean I can’t have some fun. Thinking of getting 500 pounds of Mourvèdre.

Making 5 gallons white, 5 gallons rose, 15 gallons red and 2.5 gallons of port from the grapes.

One harvest, one crush, a couple different ferments. I’m hoping I can take the juice right from the crusher before there is any redness to it.

Couldn't find much other than this article but it does appear you can make a white out of it.

http://azwinemonk.com/2016/04/12/az-wine-monk-reviews-az-hops-n-vines-2014-insolito-white-mourvedre/

I realize that Mourvedre is a red grape, but the juice also comes out clear, so I figure if I put a strainer under the crusher/destemmer that it should give me clear juice to make a white from. I’ll probably add water and acid to hit a better white / rose profile at the expense of flavor vs. doing two separate crushes.

What, no Cab Franc? The CF grapes will be whispering to you from your front yard crop! Who thinks NorCal will only make Mourvedre? I'm betting he stretches a "little" more. :)

I realize that Mourvedre is a red grape, but the juice also comes out clear, so I figure if I put a strainer under the crusher/destemmer that it should give me clear juice to make a white from.

Yes, one can make a white wine from a red grape.

It is rare, but one can also make a white Pinot Noir for example.

I thought I would close the loop on this one and bets can be paid. The goal was to slow down and make 4 different wines out of Mourvedre, 27.5 gallons total (March estimate). The place I was to get my Mourvedre from (the place I live) had a yield problem and de-committed the Mourvedre, so that plan went out the window and I had to shift gears to the "100 point" Cab Franc blend. What did I end up making from grapes this year?

Cab Franc 53 gallons
Merlot 25 gallons
Cab Sauv 5 gallons
Petit Verdot 4 gallons
Chenin Blanc 24 gallons
------------------------------
Total 111 gallons

Ok, a little more than the 27.5 that I set out to do, but conditions changed :) It was however a significant reduction from the 150-200 gallons I had been doing for the previous seasons. Baby steps.

@balatonwine , @mainshipfred , @4score , @Ajmassa @Johnd , @Stressbaby

I thought I would close the loop on this one and bets can be paid. The goal was to slow down and make 4 different wines out of Mourvedre, 27.5 gallons total (March estimate). The place I was to get my Mourvedre from (the place I live) had a yield problem and de-committed the Mourvedre, so that plan went out the window and I had to shift gears to the "100 point" Cab Franc blend. What did I end up making from grapes this year?

Cab Franc 53 gallons
Merlot 25 gallons
Cab Sauv 5 gallons
Petit Verdot 4 gallons
Chenin Blanc 24 gallons
------------------------------
Total 111 gallons

Ok, a little more than the 27.5 that I set out to do, but conditions changed :) It was however a significant reduction from the 150-200 gallons I had been doing for the previous seasons. Baby steps.

@balatonwine , @mainshipfred , @4score , @Ajmassa @Johnd , @Stressbaby

I knew we could count on you for excessive production!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back