4 liter jugs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a need for a couple more gallon jugs. I checked locally and online, the prices ranged from $8 to $12 USD. Seems like a lot for a glass jug.

So I went to the local Walmart and purchased a 4 liter jug each of burgundy and rhine, at a price of $16 each.

I decanted each into five 750 ml + one 375 ml screwcap bottles. I've got cooking wine for a while at the cost of $2.91/bottle, with the side effect of a pair of free jugs. Worked out pretty well.

Interestingly enough, both wines are neutral. Pretty much average -- no serious flaws, but nothing to recommend about them either. Perfect for adding to a batch of spaghetti sauce.

Carlo Rossi? I know their jugs are 4 liter. I’ve got an assortment of 1L, 1.5L, half gal, 1 gal, 4L and 5L jugs. And I use em all!
The half gal is nice to have. From a local jersey drink called Boost. (Nasty drink though. Like fountain soda high on syrup low on club-but love those jugs)

I think we all have consumed Carlo Rossi just to get “free jugs” . That may be why we think our wines are good! LOL. Roy

Yep. I have a CR 'carboy' or two downstairs. Decent base for sangria if you doctor it up enough. LOL!

Can someone tell me how much Citric Acid and sulphite to make a 1 gallon. Thanks

I bet this will be one of those ask 20 winemakers, get 21 opinions.

Here is mine I use 2 heaping tablespoons of potassium metabisulphite and 1 heaping tablespoon of Acid. Usually citric, but I have also used Acid Blend.

The only reason citric is used is because its cheaper than tartaric and does the same job (lowers pH). If your making a lot of cleaning solution for barrels etc it makes a big difference!

Hmm. This is interesting.
I sometimes like to give a nice full spritze directly into the carboys or barrel with my solution. Just knocking out anything that could be happening up there. (For oily surface, or if a “skin” of sorts has formed- just anything really). And I use the Kmeta/citric.
Probably gonna switch to tartaric now. Considering I have no idea what I pay for them anyway lol. I only make a handful of solution batches a year. It’s not like I’m not gonna buy Kmeta or tartaric based on price if it’s needed. Amiright
KMeta/tartaric it is! Learn something new every day

Yea but every time you do that your adding tartaric to the wine. You do that enough to a carboy and you might have undrinkable wine. The only time you want to add citric or anything else to KMETA is to clean/sanitize a barrel etc. You then rinse that solution out with clean water before adding your wine to your barrel etc. I would just spritz it with your standard KMETA solution. That will kill most things as long as its topped up and under airlock etc.

Hmm. This is interesting.
I sometimes like to give a nice full spritze directly into the carboys or barrel with my solution. Just knocking out anything that could be happening up there. (For oily surface, or if a “skin” of sorts has formed- just anything really). And I use the Kmeta/citric.
Probably gonna switch to tartaric now. Considering I have no idea what I pay for them anyway lol. I only make a handful of solution batches a year. It’s not like I’m not gonna buy Kmeta or tartaric based on price if it’s needed. Amiright
KMeta/tartaric it is! Learn something new every day

Yea but every time you do that your adding tartaric to the wine. You do that enough to a carboy and you might have undrinkable wine. The only time you want to add citric or anything else to KMETA is to clean/sanitize a barrel etc. You then rinse that solution out with clean water before adding your wine to your barrel etc. I would just spritz it with your standard KMETA solution. That will kill most things as long as its topped up and under airlock etc.

I understand what your saying. But the amount of acid in a 1:3 solution squirt bottle is about a tsp. And divided by However many squirts per bottle.
So 1 spritz to the surface every couple months isn’t gonna do any damage to the acid levels I was thinking. And only fighting off some crud.
But it probably makes sense to do that with just Kmeta. No sense in taking unnecessary risks.
(Have seen videos of winery workers doing this to their barrels after pulling samples. With what I assume was some version of a Kmeta solution)

Back