4 days without Punching down the cap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebiedoo

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my grapes fermenting for 5 days and already they were down to 1.02 SG. the problem was, I had to go out of town for 2 days. I showed my wife what to do and when to stop (if necessary) but I just found out she forgot to do it. I can't really smell much and I'm sure there is a layer of co2 covering the must, the cap is mostly damp (not completely dry. I haven't touched it yet but I'm wondering the the best course of action should be. My initial thoughts are just to remove the top layer and press from there. Am assuming the juice is fine and hasn't been oxygenated and I'm fine just to start the Mallo fermentation. any other thoughts??

thanks

Shoe

They have a bit left to go so punch it down gently until you press. I co-inoculate MLB when I pitch yeast but from this point I'd just pick up where you left off and hope for some extraction out of the skins if that's what you're after...

Cheers!
-johann

I had my grapes fermenting for 5 days and already they were down to 1.02 SG. the problem was, I had to go out of town for 2 days. I showed my wife what to do and when to stop (if necessary) but I just found out she forgot to do it. I can't really smell much and I'm sure there is a layer of co2 covering the must, the cap is mostly damp (not completely dry. I haven't touched it yet but I'm wondering the the best course of action should be. My initial thoughts are just to remove the top layer and press from there. Am assuming the juice is fine and hasn't been oxygenated and I'm fine just to start the Mallo fermentation. any other thoughts??

thanks

Shoe
Correction, I was out of town for 4 days not 2. the Sg was before I left

Back