3rd Iteration Winemaking Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcjeff

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1st winemaking area in 2017: 67F331A4-448B-49C6-AD11-0E2A93994125.jpegThen we moved and I was able to create a larger area with dedicated sink area and carboy cabinet:ED9FE436-0D33-41C2-A211-15D9CDCF3B0F.jpeg287038F8-3966-4349-9315-831798873F53.jpegED356E90-CE06-4D4C-9F11-0B5EE8AD1018.jpeg
But that area was co mingled somewhat with my workout room (a big, open area) So now I’m going to build some walls and creat a new space. This is the current design I’m on, but I’m open to thoughts, suggestions. 196BE646-CA3F-42AB-A8C4-BDFB0A22DD90.jpeg

Attachments

• E61A4115-BD57-4FD9-A87E-6CBFDB410C00.jpeg
    E61A4115-BD57-4FD9-A87E-6CBFDB410C00.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I see your sink is in an separate adjacent room. I would want the sink in or adjacent to the counter. If the countertop was on the wall to the left could you tie into the plumbing in the sink/ cleanup room?

That said, it’s a lot nicer than my basement bathroom. I’m getting tired of washing carboys in the tub.

Thanks for the response. Yes I started out in this house cleaning stuff in the basement shower so I can relate. My original plan was to get a commercial 2 tub sink and put in in an area behind that room, but since then we have converted that area into storage. I think I’m going to live with the sink setup for now but you have me thinking again🤔

👍 I see you have a wine safe! Very handy for those rare vintages.

I had been looking forward to a dedicated wine making facility in the basement of a planned addition. Now it’s looking like that may not happen so I’m looking at converting existing space. I have a “family room” in the basement now that, after 25 years, is still not finished and has been used for storage. I’m picturing a wine making room/bar/tasting room. It even has its own fireplace!

I store carboys in my hobby room. I bottle in the laundry. Just looking at the carboy storage cabinet I though I would share my plan. I have aio pump bottling and racking set ups on the way, but the pump delivered to Canada is about $500. I decided to set up 2 cheaper pumps. One at the sink and one in my room. I can rack in the room and then wheel them over to the sink never having to lift higher than to shift onto a dolly.

I just ordered casters so I can make a dolly that the carboys can sit on so I can store them under my desk. Then I can pull them out and transfer to a smaller smaller dolly to wheel into the laundry. Might make sense in your area.

The dolly will be 20 x 50 and store my full carboys. A flat top version of the one pictured, then i can just roll them in and out. PXL_20221114_235831944.jpg

I figured I would proved some updated photos. I ended up re using the cabinets and counter I already had, and moved things around. I still need to get a freezer, do some electrical and some trim work, but I think it turned out pretty good.View attachment 95299View attachment 95300View attachment 95301
Dig it!

Looks like you have a BUNCH of wines that have won awards! Congrats! Care to share pics/info on what they are?

Cheers!

Just our local fair. They have multiple classes for both kit wines and from grapes. Best of show this year with the RJ’s Cru Black Forest. Last year with the Cabernet Franc Icewine. Here is a picture from this year. The Merlot was from grapes, the Cab and Pinot were FWK’s and the Chardonnay was Wine Expert944B0378-BB6F-4A66-97EC-36997D7425E9.jpeg

I store carboys in my hobby room. I bottle in the laundry. Just looking at the carboy storage cabinet I though I would share my plan. I have aio pump bottling and racking set ups on the way, but the pump delivered to Canada is about $500. I decided to set up 2 cheaper pumps. One at the sink and one in my room. I can rack in the room and then wheel them over to the sink never having to lift higher than to shift onto a dolly.

I just ordered casters so I can make a dolly that the carboys can sit on so I can store them under my desk. Then I can pull them out and transfer to a smaller smaller dolly to wheel into the laundry. Might make sense in your area.

The dolly will be 20 x 50 and store my full carboys. A flat top version of the one pictured, then i can just roll them in and out. View attachment 95304
Great minds think alike. (I got the idea from an earlier post here)E3061D43-0AAC-4B20-8067-221B5EF87DF0.jpeg

I see your sink is in an separate adjacent room. I would want the sink in or adjacent to the counter. If the countertop was on the wall to the left could you tie into the plumbing in the sink/ cleanup room?

That said, it’s a lot nicer than my basement bathroom. I’m getting tired of washing carboys in the tub.
I totally get the convenience of having the sink close to or within the countertop space. If you're moving the countertop to the left, tying into the existing plumbing should be possible, though it might require some rerouting. Always a good idea to get a plumber's opinion on this. And I feel you on washing carboys in the tub; it's not the most ideal setup!

And I feel you on washing carboys in the tub; it's not the most ideal setup!
Not for long! After several months of plan changes we are back to adding a Mother-in-law suite to our house. The entire added basement area 24x32 is mine. We break ground next week!!

I figured I would proved some updated photos. I ended up re using the cabinets and counter I already had, and moved things around. I still need to get a freezer, do some electrical and some trim work, but I think it turned out pretty good.View attachment 95299View attachment 95300[ATTACH
I figured I would proved some updatedI photos. I ended up re using the cabinets and counter I already had, and moved things around. I still need to get a freezer, do some electrical and some trim work, but I think it turned out pretty good.View attachment 95299View attachment 95300View attachment 95301
type="full"]95301[/ATTACH]
I figured I would proved some updated photos. I ended up re using the cabinets and counter I already had, and moved things around. I still need to get a freezer, do some electrical and some trim work, but I think it turned out pretty good.View attachment 95299View attachment 95300View attachment 95301

Looking at your floor to ceiling wine rack. I have two of those and today I’m putting together a third. Mine are secured to the wall on the floor. I’m hesitant to stack them. Do you feel safe with all that weight up in the air like that. I really like the kit. The pieces are well cut and made in Canada.

Latest posts

Back