WineXpert -3Brothers- wants to know: Anyone made this kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3Brothers

Wanted to know if anyone has ever done one of these fruit wine kits? Any opinion on them? Taste, materials, directions?

Winexpert

Island Mist Premium Fruit Flavored Wine Kits

(These Fruit Wine Kits are a perfect marriage. The clean, crispness of a fine wine plus the luscious refreshment of juicy orchard fresh fruit which produce a light alcohol (6.5%) drink that is lighter and more fruity than table wines. Deliciously walking the edge between coolers and table wine, this truly luscious fruit wine satisfies in every way! Simple, succulent, satisfying, it's all yours in a variety of tongue teasing flavors. These fruit wine kits contain 7.5 liters of juice packaged in an aseptic, nitrogen purged juice bag and make 6 gallons (28-30 bottles). The kits contain an F-pack flavor pack.)

Some people (especially wine snobs) do not consider the Mist style to be real wines. Admittedly, they are more like coolers. For comparison, check out the Arbor Mist and Wild Vines commercial brands.

The mist wines are sweet like coolers, although they vary in sweetness. Of the mists that I have made, Vineco's Niagara Mist Pink Grapefruit is the least sweet, and Spagnols' Orchard Breezin' Blackberry Merlot the most sweet.

Many people do not like the sweetness, but they make excellent summer drinks over ice or with some club soda added.

Personally, I make them by the instructions. Some people put part of the 'Flavour' pack into the primary to reduce the sweetness, incease the alcohol, but still retain all of the fruit flavour.

Steve

Thankx for the reply Steve. I had pretty much assumed that a fruit wine was not going to fall into any Napa Valley inner circle conversations, but I figured at least a few people had tried them, and since my two brothers and I are into sweet wines, they sounded like a good first try choice. But I like the idea of adding the flavor pack into the primary to change it up a bit, might be worth a try.

I just made the Wildberry Shiraz, and everyone who tastes it simply loves it. It is on the sweet side, but a nice summer wine that can even be drank over ice. Has a strong hint of rasberry.

But may i know why these mist wines are not considered as real wines?has it got some thing to do with their sweet taste ?but if that is the case then they could easily come under the category of dessert wines.why insulting a wine by putting them under the category of coolers. :b

My Wines ,My Passion : http://www.vivino.com

The kits make a low alcohol (6-8%), sweet, fruit-flavoured beverage. Not a straight grape wine. To many people, this is not a wine.

Their loss.

Steve

I just degassed my first orchard breezin kit (blueberry shiraz that i made for the wife)I had her sample it after i added half the fpac and she said that it was plenty sweet.

In hindsight i wish i would have added half the f pac to the primary :(.

I sampled it and i must say its fairly good.It will be a hit for the summer partys that we have.

I take these kits and up the abv with about 3 1/2-4 lbs of sugar and they always come out very good. I just finished the RJS Banana Pineapple Voignier and it is the best yet and I upped the starting sg to 1.085. The banana gave it a buttery texture to it but is not a flavor profile IMO neither is the Pineapple at this point. I think it just accentuated the citruses in this wine and I will do this one again when it runs out over any other mist kit Ive done and Ive made quite a few, I really like the green Apple Riesling and the Peach Apricot Chard also.

I make these kits all the time in the summer. I never alter them. They are great for drinking by the pool on a hot day. I drink them on ice normally. What is nice is you can drink them almost immediately after fermenting and clearing. They will last in the bottle a lot longer than the directions and other literature say to. I drank one the other night that is over 2 years old. I didn't add any extra K-Meta either. Make them and enjoy.

I have made an Island Mist Green Apple Riesling as well as the Pomegranate Zinfandel. Everyone who has tried either has looooved them. I much prefer the Green Apple Riesling of the two, as does my friend who made the 2 batches with me (and she is usually more of a red drinker). Serve it super chilled. Delish!

Oh, and we added a "booster" during the primary fermentation. It was only $6 from my retailer, and basically it was just a really thick simple syrup as far as I can tell. I don't recall the SG readings, so I'm not sure what the alcohol content was... but judging by my own inebriation after a bottle (and I tried this experiment many, many times, so I think its quite scientific!), I would guess it came out around 9%. More like a strong wine cooler.

The Island Mist Pomegranate Zin is excellent! It does have to age though to get the best flavour out of it.

Latest posts

Back