$35 130 Bottle Wine Rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very keen to make something along these lines. It would be labor intensive, but I can deal with that. I wonder how stable this type of rack is though. I see them everywhere but intuitively I would think that a gentle push on the side would send the whole thing collapsing sideways unless wall anchored..?

Yes this MUST be wall anchored or you risk the possibility of coming home one day to a big (sad) mess of broken glass.......... :(

wine_rack_fail.jpg

Last edited:
Going back to the original pix, What do you think of making it 19-20 in deep to hold 2 bottles per bay. It may need middle vertical supports. I need to maximize my limited space.

Going back to the original pix, What do you think of making it 19-20 in deep to hold 2 bottles per bay. It may need middle vertical supports. I need to maximize my limited space.

What an excelent idea. I'm currenly building a 77 bottle rack that I will use in my dining room,. My design is different, but the idea of doubling up with one bottle in front of the other makes a lot of sense, expcially in my basement where i want to store a few hundred bottles and I start to build and store some reds for future consumption.

I've found a dept of 11 inches works well for most bottles. A few are longer. I'll probably double the to 22, or 23 inches deep. 2 of these will fit under my work table in the basement and will hold over 300 bottles.

Thanks for the comment, you just doubled my basement storage!

Sunsanvil - there is a plywood back on the rack that prevents any side-to-side motion. No worries!

gfmonk - look on the 4th page of this thread. I put the plans, the jig, and the material list there.

Paul

Last edited:
Is there an easy way to get the .75x.75's rather than cutting them down from a larger piece of wood?

I'm ok at wood working, but not skilled by any means...

Go to your local hardware store or hobby lobby and look at the square dowel section for the 3/4 x 3/4. If not there try the 1x section for a 1x1 the true size is 3/4x3/4 I have found some places with it

Thanks for a great design and a jig worth it's weight in gold!

I put my own tweaks on it (including raising it up 2 levels so it holds 150) ... and will use the jig to build a short one to use as a sofa table/bar area ... your plans are very appreciated!

FYI to other builders: I found the best use of wood was to start with 1x4 and rip off a 3/4" strip ... seems to be the best wood for the $$ and gives a start on the millions of support pieces!!

IMG_2936.jpg

I think you did a great job, and it looks very nice.
I only have one problem with it....
I am a dumpster diver for bottles, I have some that wouldnt fit in the 3.5 opening...so use a shelf type...i wish all my bottles were the same....

i'm a diver too

But I now have so many bottles that I can be a bit more choosy sometimes when I'm bottling ... I totally have some "misfits" stored in another closet!!

Thank so much for the rack and jig plans.
I just finished building mine. Its scaled down a bit to fit my space, but still managed to get 96 bottles in there. Love it!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back