$35 130 Bottle Wine Rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are two PDF files under the supply list. One says Final Desigh PDF and one says Jig PDF. They are Adobe files.

I found them. Thank You. Was using my phone and it wasn't showing up in the mobile ap.

Rocky when I made mine I used a finish nailer. I also used glue in areas of concern which worked out good in conjunction with the nail gun.

Right on Runningwolf. I use a "brad" nail gun too, but predrilling as I see in another comment is a good option too, but will take some time.

I would not skip the glue, but it really doesn't take much time. I pour some in a jar lid, and apply it with a small brush. Try not to use too much, as it will squeeze out and make staining difficult.

And, yes, I ripped the 1x6's to make the bottle holders.

Yes too, that is six bottles in the second column from the right, of Chianti the wife and I brought home from our honeymoon in Tuscany last year. (I didn't know they had wine in Italy!) Thanks for asking! :)

Good luck!
Paul

Last edited:
pgottshall, As a former shop teacher turned builder I can say it's an awesome job. I will be building a 12 ft long wine rack for the "new" house as soon as we get settled. Your plan & jig drawings are greatly appreciated, it will save hours at the drawing board, OPPS! that's in the moving sale too! Roy

Ok after a trip to Lowes with my husband we now have 200.00 worth of wood and a 900.00 trailer to carry it in for my "35.00 130 bottle wine rack". I just Love my husband. BTW the excuse for the trailer was to carry the 4 wheeler for deer hunting. :)

Ok after a trip to Lowes with my husband we now have 200.00 worth of wood and a 900.00 trailer to carry it in for my "35.00 130 bottle wine rack". I just Love my husband. BTW the excuse for the trailer was to carry the 4 wheeler for deer hunting. :)

Those are numbers I can believe!!! Keeps us posted on how it turns out....

Thanks for all the interest! I have a few sketches here that I think do a good job of describing the design and the process of building. My wife (the stainer in our house), told me to suggest you stain the uprights before assembly, as it's darn near impossible after.

I think this is a pretty good design, even from a 9 1/2 fingered woodworker.... :)

I did add up the costs, and see that my $35 is a little low for those who don't have a scrap pile to draw from as I do:

Great plans with a cost sheet and j1g. Up and beyond the call of duty. Thank you.

I'll be cutting some planks from a monkeypod tree trunk this weekend. Lucky my neighbor has a portable sawmill on his farm. Monkeypod is quite similar to koa which is an expensive exotic wood found here in Hawaii. Perhaps I'll document the entire process from tree trunk to wine rack. Any wood workers know how long the fresh cut wood will need to dry out before using it? Should I go ahead and cut into the small pieces needed of let it dry in planks first? FTC?

Last edited:
please do.. lots of pictures and detailed steps. I find that kind of stuff not only very helpful but fascinating to see

roadwarrior.. It would be best to cut into planks & then let them dry, then surface & rip as needed when your ready to do the project.
shelly, I totally understand the $200 & the need for the trailer, THEN I am from MARS! Roy

Here is a sneak preview of whats to come. I'll start a separate thread once the wine rack is made and all the pics have been taken. Here is my neighbor cutting me some monkeypod especially for my wine rack!

IMG_20120908_112206.jpg

With a saw like that I'd no longer be a 9 1/2 fingered wood-worker.... Probably 8 1/2!

Keep us posted!

What kind of wine do you make in Hawaii?

What kind of wine do you make in Hawaii?

I'm blessed to have access to different exotic type fruits, plus Costco & Sam's Club has all the blackberrys, blueberrys, etc. that I need. I'm on my second batch of lychee wine. Its a Chinese fruit with the meat similar a grape. About to start a 5 gallon batch of lilikoi (passion fruit) using all juice, or as much juice as acid levels will allow. I just stabilized a 3 gallon batch of guava nector wine that is delicious. Today I'm collecting small wild strawberry guava from my neighbor's farm. Not enough for wine but enough for a small batch of jelly. :b

Latest posts

Back