Quantcast

30 Gallon Oak Barrel leaks

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

ForzaItalia

Reaction score
Hi All!

Does any one know why my barrel only shows signs of seepage only after I top off? It not so much a leak where it pools on the floor but seepage on the barrel ends. After a day it drys out again.

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All!

Does any one know why my barrel only shows signs of seepage only after I top off? It not so much a leak where it pools on the floor but seepage on the barrel ends. After a day it drys out again.

Thanks!
In my experience, a little bit of pressure goes a long way, and have seen some barrel leakage on mine when using solid bungs. If you fill your barrel to the tippy top, then pound in a solid bung, since liquid doesn't compress, it creates pressure in the barrel, and it will leak a bit until that pressure subsides (which it does as the wine leaks). Since I still fill my barrels all the way up, the solid bung is not pushed in deeply right away, just fit in tightly, then will get pushed firmly into the barrel a few days later. If you think this is what's happening in your barrel, try inserting the bung lightly at first, then solidly a few days later, or consider going to a vented silicone bung, which allows for pressure release.

ForzaItalia

Reaction score
In my experience, a little bit of pressure goes a long way, and have seen some barrel leakage on mine when using solid bungs. If you fill your barrel to the tippy top, then pound in a solid bung, since liquid doesn't compress, it creates pressure in the barrel, and it will leak a bit until that pressure subsides (which it does as the wine leaks). Since I still fill my barrels all the way up, the solid bung is not pushed in deeply right away, just fit in tightly, then will get pushed firmly into the barrel a few days later. If you think this is what's happening in your barrel, try inserting the bung lightly at first, then solidly a few days later, or consider going to a vented silicone bung, which allows for pressure release.
Thanks John! I will try that next time. I was worried that I did not soak the barrel properly so this is good news!

Latest posts