3 year old wine kit = brown wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Link it Rich, Im good on links as long as they are wine or beer related.

Oh so I can't even post a link without 10 posts?

That is correct. It is either 5 or 10, I can't remember what I have it set at now. We had to do that to curb SPAM links being posted. It was 10 but I might have lowered it to 5 posts as the average spammer will visit the site once to post the link and then never return. We still have to have it at least 5 as the new trend is to join a forum, make a regular post, then come back and post the link in the signature line.

after adding the f-pack the wine is now much less brown than it was. when i shine a spotlight through it the light coming out the other side is definitely ruby colored.

is there any difference between aging in the bottles and aging in the carboy? the instructions said to let it age for 3 months after being bottled. what if i let it sit for a month and a half in the carboy and another month and a half in the bottles?

also there appears to be some yeast collecting on the sides of the carboy. it is most evident at the very bottom where the yeast has collected, but there seems to be a little bit collecting on the sides all throughout the carboy. i was thinking of transferring the wine one more time before bottling, hoping to get rid of this. is this normal?

no major difference in aging carboy or bottle. carboy is often convenient because it takes up less space so if you can spare tying up the carboy for a few months that's what i'd do... especially if there is still clarification to go.
if you are going to let it bulk age, be sure to follow instructions accordingly. usually this includes adding 1/4tsp k-meta/6 gallons.
keep your airlocks filled, a dry airlock will ruin your 6 gallons quite quickly.
keep the carboy topped up to within 2" of the bottom of the bung/stopper
a quick twist of the carboy for a few days in a row will sometimes release yeast and sediment clinging to the sides of the carboy.
dont be in a rush to bottle... bulk aging will allow more sediment to settle and more CO2 to naturally come out of suspension.
if you take a sample into a wine glass i'd be interested in seeing the color and clarity you have right now.
ultimately you want it to settle enough that it is bright and crystal clear, it may be tinted, but there should be no cloudiness or particulate floating around.

If it stays that color but otherwise tastes ok, you could give it an interesting name.....

how about "Mud Puddle"?

Latest posts

Back