3 year old peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorCAD

Reaction score
I opened a 3 year old bottle of peach wine today. It is very good. I had tried a bottle a while ago and it was not too good.

This wine was made with free peaches, yellow and white, from Younces Farm in Greenwood, SC. The lawyer my wife worked for would rent out a piece of his parking lot to the Younces every year to sell their peaches. My wife mentioned that we make wine, so the farmer gave her all the skoft peaches that they couldnt sell. We cleaned, skinned and de-pitted and then froze them until we had enough to make 5 gallons. It was very hot and didn't have much peach flavor after fermentation.

Now it is a beautiful gold color and the peach flavor has come back. There is no more hotness. Should have left it in the carboy longer because of sediment, but it doesnt hurt the flavor.

Time heals all wounds!

I'm sure there's plenty of hope for your 9 month batch... My first batch of wine was peach, and it was hot for the first 12 months, and "green" for the first 18 months...

Then it turned beautiful - like a Cinderella story :)

Now its 31 months old ( 2yrs, 7 months) & I think its pretty good stuff, although i've had opinions/feedback that it wasnt as sweet as they'd hoped

Doc--the next time you make peach, be sure to use bentonite in the primary then you won't have the clearing issue.

As a side note to flavor, there are 2 things you can do to really bring the flavor up. Use no water or VERY little. And add a can of peach puree like Vintner's Harvest to the primary. We did those 2 things last year and our peach already has very good flavor, altho we still have it in the carboy and will keep it there until it approaches the one year mark.

Last edited:
Doc--the next time you make peach, be sure to use bentonite in the primary then you won't have the clearing issue.

As a side note to flavor, there are 2 things you can do to really bring the flavor up. Use no water or VERY little. And add a can of peach puree like Vintner's Harvest to the primary. We did those 2 things last year and our peach already has very good flavor, altho we still have it in the carboy and will keep it there until it approaches the one year mark.

Yea, I didnt add any clarifiers, just let it sit, just not long enough. I topped off with chardonnay and that helped.

Peach is a VERY difficult wine to clear without bentonite. It also suffers from pectin haze. Always use bentonite in white style wines--no matter what fruit is used--and you'll have beautifully cleared wines.

Same thing with my Pear/Port, brandy was very dominate up front but now thats its age it is amazing... Time is always a good thing..

Latest posts

Back