3-year old Chocolate Raspberry Port Still good?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmarsh

Junior
Reaction score
I started making wine about 3.5 years ago with a couple kits and a few batches of SP/dragon’s blood, and after only about half a dozen batches took a bit of a hiatus (almost 3 years!)... I keep my carboys in an empty coat closet, and had more or less neglected a double batch of WE port that was still in a 6 gal carboy. After resolving to get back into the hobby this past weekend I racked it into a 5 gal (plus a couple of swing-tops for tasting/testing), and there was a TON of lees left in the original, I can’t even remember if I racked it after fining. The airlock was completely dry and probably had been for over 2 years i’m guessing, but in a glass the wine was completely clear, still had legs and smelled of high alcohol content as it should. My wife and I both tasted it, (tasted fine...) and there were no other anomalies like floaties or residue or off-tastes or smells. So long story short, am I crazy to think that a wine sitting on gross lees with a dry airlock with no racking for over 3 years is perfectly fine and drinkable?? Thanks, and glad to be reviving the hobby.

It wouldn’t have been first choice to think that it’s ok, but if it is, then it is. Perhaps high alcohol and a lot of residual sugar helped with some measure of protection after your airlock went dry and sulfite was spoken for. Perhaps it’s starting down the road of a tawny port. At any rate, hit it with 1/4 tsp of sulfite and get it bottled.

Just curious, were you using a 3 piece airlock or one of the S type airlock?

I used the S-type, does that bring up any thoughts on the outcome?

I did rack it onto Kmeta, and only used one of the 2 F-packs during the initial process, no sorbate or other additives on this racking... it’s been about 72 hrs and no new haze/cloudiness or lees layer, so i’m pretty optimistic.

If it was well topped up and there were no drastic temperature changes then even with the airlock dry there would not have been a lot of air transfer into the carboy.

Had the wine been fortified during the 3 years sitting? I've never made a Port from a kit so not sure. I'm just curious if you know what the ABV was while it was sitting.

Latest posts

Back