3 varieties, what each to use

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbrand

Junior
Reaction score
I am receiving Cab Sav, Zenfandel, and pinot noir grapes this fall. I usually use Pasteur Red as my yeast for red wines, but I hate to use the same yeast on all 3 batches. I don't know why I have a problem with that, but it seems like I should use a different yeast on each batch to get different flavors to pop. Thoughts?

Not Paul, but I'll give you my answer. All red wines made from grapes, not from wine kits, benefit from going through Mlf.
I have always done a MLF on my red wines made with grapes, but I have only used Pasteur Red as my yeast. When looking at BM4x4 on morewine.com, it said
"MLF Compatibility: Not really recommended" so I wasn't sure.

Last edited:
sour_grapes, Would you use a MLF with all 3 of those yeasts?

Not SG either, but I’ll chime in and echo what Craig said, those wine varietals benefit from MLF. If you’re asking about whether co-inoculation is OK with those yeasts, I’d say yes, having successfully CI’d with all three. You’ll probably read that BM4x4 is a sulfite producer and may be troublesome for CI, thats not been my experience at all. Keep both yeast and LAB well fed and they’ll take care of the rest.

I will toss out there, that I have added the MLB after fermentation with D254 and BM4x4 and successfully completed Malolactic Fermentation. I haven't used RC212 for several years now, after a not so good use of it one year. I forgot to add extra nutrients to my must and ended up with smelly must. I was able to get the smell under control with Reduless, but decided not to use RC212 any longer. And BM4x4 produces a better wine, I feel. This was with Chambourcin Grapes.

Read through the document that Sal posted. Plenty of good info there to help you decide on a yeast. I won't make any specific recommendations other than to say I'd go in a different direction than @sour_grapes. 🤣 Nothing wrong with his choices, but if you ask 10 winemakers the yeast question, you're likely to get 10 different answers. It really comes down to the style of wine you want to make and (if you have the luxury of knowing), what your fruit and harvest conditions are like.

Latest posts

Back