3 gallon wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copterdoctor

Junior
Reaction score
I am new to wine making. I have my first batch going now. I have been looking at doing a dessert wine next. I have noticed the most dessert wine kits only come in 3 gallons. My question is, will my 7.9 gallon primary fermenter be sufficient for this? I understand I will have to get a 3 gallon carboy. But will I have to get a smaller primary? Thank you in advance.

That's a lot of head-space, but I think that I would use an airlock immediately on this, as a loose cover is probably not needed initially. I think that there is plenty of O2 to get it going, after that the CO2 will blanket it.

That's a lot of head-space, but I think that I would use an airlock immediately on this, as a loose cover is probably not needed initially. I think that there is plenty of O2 to get it going, after that the CO2 will blanket it.

Thanks.

I am new to wine making. I have my first batch going now. I have been looking at doing a dessert wine next. I have noticed the most dessert wine kits only come in 3 gallons. My question is, will my 7.9 gallon primary fermenter be sufficient for this? I understand I will have to get a 3 gallon carboy. But will I have to get a smaller primary? Thank you in advance.

You’ll be just fine fermenting the 3 gallon kit in your large fermenter, just make sure to transfer to your 3 gallon carboy as fermentation comes to a halt.

Ditto on what Johnd stated.

No airlock needed until you rack into a carboy. Just use a thin, tight weave cloth like a sheet or towell. I always tie it on tight with a cord to keep out suicidal fruit flies. That added depth just means a greater volume of CO2 can be kept over the must.

Racking point should not be before foaming, if present, dies down. Even at an SG of 1.010 the racking process can create a resurgance of foam and an foam fountain. So just go slow on that first racking.

Back