3 gallon wine

Discussion in 'Beginners Wine Making Forum' started by Copterdoctor, Feb 14, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Feb 14, 2019 #1

Copterdoctor

Copterdoctor

Copterdoctor

Junior

I am new to wine making. I have my first batch going now. I have been looking at doing a dessert wine next. I have noticed the most dessert wine kits only come in 3 gallons. My question is, will my 7.9 gallon primary fermenter be sufficient for this? I understand I will have to get a 3 gallon carboy. But will I have to get a smaller primary? Thank you in advance.

2. Feb 14, 2019 #2

G259

G259

G259

That's a lot of head-space, but I think that I would use an airlock immediately on this, as a loose cover is probably not needed initially. I think that there is plenty of O2 to get it going, after that the CO2 will blanket it.

3. Feb 14, 2019 #3

Copterdoctor

Copterdoctor

Copterdoctor

Junior

Thanks.

4. Feb 14, 2019 #4

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

You’ll be just fine fermenting the 3 gallon kit in your large fermenter, just make sure to transfer to your 3 gallon carboy as fermentation comes to a halt.

Scooter68 likes this.
  5. Feb 14, 2019 #5

Copterdoctor

Copterdoctor

Copterdoctor

Junior

Thank you.

6. Feb 14, 2019 #6

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Ditto on what Johnd stated.

No airlock needed until you rack into a carboy. Just use a thin, tight weave cloth like a sheet or towell. I always tie it on tight with a cord to keep out suicidal fruit flies. That added depth just means a greater volume of CO2 can be kept over the must.

Racking point should not be before foaming, if present, dies down. Even at an SG of 1.010 the racking process can create a resurgance of foam and an foam fountain. So just go slow on that first racking.