3 gallon recipe makes 5??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
I made three gallons of peach wine last weekend. It hit 1.00 SG today, so I racked into a glass secondary. Based on ingredients, I expected it to be a little over, but that I'd lose some to evaporation or spillage.

I know that we're supposed to post the recipe, but this isn't the first time it's happened to me. The last batch of blueberry was supposed to be four gallons, but racked into the carboys as a cup or two under EIGHT.

I know fruit has water... but dang! LOL

Last edited:
Gotta post the recipe. Can't troubleshoot without it.

Reading it the way you did, that did sound a bit dramatic! :db

I did two batches of three gallons each in 5g primaries. :h

Well, fruit solids displace fluid, but does not contribute to final volume.

Unless I am misunderstanding yoru post about adding crushed fruit to 3 gallons of liquid...

Good morning. This is the recipe I'm using for peach. I like to convert my recipes to checklists in excel so I can mark off each step and then add notes after. I *need* a checklist, or I tend to jump around with stuff. ADD, maybe... lol

Makes three gallons of peach in one bucket

1. 18 lbs. peaches, in nylon bags & crush & cover
2. boil .5 gallon water w/2.25 pounds sugar (3x)
3. pour mixture over peaches to set color (3X)
4. pour 1.5 gallon ice water over berries
5. add white grape juice concentrate (3x 12oz cans), stir
6. Cool to ~75 degrees
7. add acid (6 tsp)
8. add tannin (1 tsp)
9. add yeast nutrient (4 tsp)
10. Add crushed Campden (4 tabs)
11. Cover & fit with airlock
12. Wait 12 hours
13. Add pectic enzyme (2 tsp)
14. Check PA (max 1.085)
15. Cover & fit with airlock
16. Wait 24 hours
17. Add yeast starter
18. Stir daily, Check SG
19. Once SG reaches 1.000, Remove fruit bags, do NOT squeeze
20. Let sediment settle
21. Rack into secondary (glass carboy)
22. Store in darkness
23. Wait 1 months
24. Rack into clean secondary (glass carboy)
25. Wait 2 months
26. Check PA
27. Degas, stabilize, & sweeten (12-36 oz sugar in boiled water)
28. Bottle
29. Age in darkness for 12 months

Where the recipe said to crush the fruit, I used a blender and ground the fruit up. I'm using very fine mesh bags, so I haven't noticed any pulp escaping into the must. What was a very full fruit bag in the beginning was just a fraction of the volume when I removed it... less than 1.5 quarts, in fact, when I dumped it into the composter.

I reached 1.000 SG far more quickly than I expected - about 6 days.

Yep, that recipe would be way over 3 gallons. I see 1.5 gallons of ice water, 1.5 gallons of boiling water with 6.75 lbs of sugar which in itself would be more like 2.25 after the sugar was added and then also 3 cans of concentrate along with the juice from all the peaches. You have around 3.25 gallons of water and then almost 1/2 gallon of the concentrate along with probably another 1/2 gallon of juice being extracted from the fruit itself. Thats a lot of water and has most likely diluted your peach taste considerably. Please ask us about a recipe before using itfrom some unknown source as this is always what happens.

Thank you for the feedback.

Is the appropriate correction to f-pac this batch?

Maybe you could put it back in the primary and add more fruit and sugar. What was the starting sg? Seems like it would have been low considering all the extra water.

Mr. Mud,

The starting SG was 1.083. Because it was close to 1.085, it didn't raise a red flag in my mind.

best,
ken

Back