3 gallon carboy cleaning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ludders

Junior
Reaction score
I am thinking of acquiring a used clear glass carboy, it is 3 gallons size. I have some cleaning brushes for standard size demijohns but how do you clean the bigger ones? Put a bottle brush on a stick???

A related question: How do you drain the larger carboys after washing them? I put my 1-gallon carboys upside down in the dishwasher rack to drain and dry, but the larger ones won't fit there. It sounds like a simple question, and I'm sure that many of you have creative solutions.

A related question: How do you drain the larger carboys after washing them? I put my 1-gallon carboys upside down in the dishwasher rack to drain and dry, but the larger ones won't fit there. It sounds like a simple question, and I'm sure that many of you have creative solutions.
I bought a couple of carboy dryers.
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/red-carboy-dryer
Lately I have been leaving them on the dryer for a day or two to get most of the water dripped out, then turning them over (on the counter or in the original box) to let the inside finish drying.

I use the store bought version like shown above except mine are blue. I like them because you can turn them over and put a Big Mouth Bubbler in it. I usually leave them on the dryer until they stop dripping then put them upright in a place where they can air dry. I put a clean loosely wadded up paper towel in the neck to keep critters out.

I found several sources for the blue ones. One complaint that I saw in the comments is that the cylinder around the opening for the carboy neck goes all the way to the bottom, so that it does not allow any air flow. But it seems like it would work to take the carboy out and stand it upright once it finishes dripping. The red one looks like it might allow some air flow under the carboy neck.

I have several of the blue ones, I like them because they’re very stable and they stack nicely when not in use. I like to put the carboys in the sun to dry. I use Star San to sanitize and a sandwich bag with a rubber band to seal and put them back into the drying stand to drain. The bag keeps them sealed in a sanitized state so they’re ready to go when needed.

I had several extra 6 gallon pails from juice buckets and would turn the carboys upside down in them to drain. The worked well for 3, 5 and 6 gallon (smaller diameter) carboys. The only ones that did not fit fully into the pail were the larger diameter 6 gallon carboys.

I also use "milk crates" for draining larger carboys and (upside down) for draining bottles and crushing grapes but you can also use PVC pipe fittings. Not sure what they are called but there are fittings sold that have a baffle that you can screw onto a wooden plank and I certainly use one for holding a bottle when I am bottling my wine. No chance that the hose will flip the bottle.

I'm not 100% sure why you see the need to dry the carboy. Once the carboy is cleaned I put a splash of K-meta solution and like Jim use a baggie with a rubber band. When it's time to use it I carefully take a whiff and if I still smell the solution it's ready to use. If not I just add a little, put the band back on, let it sit a few then fill it.

I'm not 100% sure why you see the need to dry the carboy. Once the carboy is cleaned I put a splash of K-meta solution and like Jim use a baggie with a rubber band. When it's time to use it I carefully take a whiff and if I still smell the solution it's ready to use. If not I just add a little, put the band back on, let it sit a few then fill it.
I do likewise...............................DizzyIzzy

Latest posts

Back