3 days now, same SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't take this the wrong way, and just to eliminate a possibility, did you add the sulphite and/or sorbate by mistake when you started?

I thought about that too Dugger, but I assumed because it was a kit, those steps would have been included. I am starting to wonder if the must was too cool when the yeast was sprinkled on top. Too hot or cold will most definitely keep a yeast from taking off. I posted another thread about these kits and the instructions they provide. I am surprised to hear most say sprinkle the yeast on top of the must. I would think to at leat re hydrate it. I am still sold on the starter. I hope this will fire up for John, and I feel good that it will.

I am surprised to hear most say sprinkle the yeast on top of the must. I would think to at leat re hydrate it. I am still sold on the starter.
What the kit companies have found is that people are dreadful at rehydrating the yeast. Apparently, they often use temperatures that are too hot, thus killing the yeast.

When I started the FoP, one brand was still recommending that the yeast by re-hydrated in 'warm' water (sorry I forget the suggested temperature).

Since they changed their instructions, I don't hydrate the yeast when starting a wine.

Steve

Don't take this the wrong way, and just to eliminate a possibility, did you add the sulphite and/or sorbate by mistake when you started?
Excellent question Dugger. People have definitely done that.

Steve

Latest posts

Back