3 batches of Red and all taste crap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotorgoat

Junior
Reaction score
I’ve now done 3 red wine kits and none of them taste good at all. I’ve done two white and they were both good. It now seems that CC and Kenridge have changed their names and added less juice but put the prices up? Any one tried their new kits? All my red wines have a sulphur type taste. I’ve used filtered water in all. Has anyone had any success in a 4 week kit? I may just stick to buying red and making white.

I'm not familiar with those kit brands, so I can't comment.

How much sulfite did you add? If you're tasting sulfur, you may have added too much. Decant a bottle and let it rest for a couple of hours, then try it again.

How long has the wine been bottled? Most let reds set for at least 6 months before touching. If it's newly bottled, it may have odd flavors -- time usually fixes that. Search on "bottle shock" and "bottle sickness" for a good explanation.

I only added the packet supplied. One red is about 6 months old and is still not good. CC is California connoisseur Merlot. The Kenridge Classic Trilogy was the other. There are lots of people that say their red is as good as super market reds, I just don’t agree. Just feel these red kits can’t make good wine with the instructions supplied. Should I be testing the Ph of the water used? Add Reduless or copper sulphate? Both reds just have the same taste and smell. I’m a big red drinker and my wife a white. I’ve made very good white but think the red is not worth the money.

Taste is obviously subjective, but I've found you can get away with less than top quality on white wine kits (though not too far from the top). Red wines are a different story. I've only enjoyed (and sometimes not so much) the high end red kits - those are typically the ones with some kind of grape skins or crushed grapes included.

Thanks for that. I agree, white wine as long as it’s cold will taste ok. Red wine is very complex. Im not sure I want to risk spending loads of money for it to taste like cooking wine. I can make a good IPA or cold Pinot Grigio but I’ve clearly failed on the rouge. Such a shame

I’ve now done 3 red wine kits and none of them taste good at all. I’ve done two white and they were both good. It now seems that CC and Kenridge have changed their names and added less juice but put the prices up? Any one tried their new kits? All my red wines have a sulphur type taste. I’ve used filtered water in all. Has anyone had any success in a 4 week kit? I may just stick to buying red and making white.

Sorry to learn this, Rotor. I have made both Kenridge and Cellar Craft reds in the past and they were excellent. These were 16 liter kits with skins. You do not specify how many liters your kits are, the yeast you used and if there were skins or a grape pack included. Sometimes the sulfur smell (possibly caused by stressed yeast) can be mitigated by splash racking and de-gassing. I have also had success in hanging copper wire (sanitized) in the carboy for a few hours at a time. I have read on this forum that others recommend against this practice so if you try it, do so with a small quantity e.g. a bottle. I just stripped a 3 foot length of Romex wire for the copper wire. You might give it a try to see if you can eliminate the sulfur taste.

I only added the packet supplied. One red is about 6 months old and is still not good. CC is California connoisseur Merlot. The Kenridge Classic Trilogy was the other. There are lots of people that say their red is as good as super market reds, I just don’t agree. Just feel these red kits can’t make good wine with the instructions supplied. Should I be testing the Ph of the water used? Add Reduless or copper sulphate? Both reds just have the same taste and smell. I’m a big red drinker and my wife a white. I’ve made very good white but think the red is not worth the money.
If I didn’t check the name I’d have thought this was my post , I’m in Northern Ireland and those are Uk brands I think, one Kenridge sav Blanc total success, Beaverdale CC and Kenridge reds big fail , I drink reds so not great with some mediocre bottles that I force myself to drink to justify the outlay , I’ve come to the conclusion I need to bulk age and barrel age and that’s were I heading and in two years I may have a decent red to show, and it’s a process to create a supply and if it’s good I’ll have plenty of friends and family wanting freebies .

I’m only on my fourth batch of red, but I have learned that time can fix major mistakes. I destroyed my first batch, and it was absolutely nasty. I poured most of it out, but left a few bottles in the basement. A year later I pulled the bottles out to reuse and it tasted pretty awesome. Blew my mind
I agree with Rocky, Try splash racking it a few times. Bottle it, and let it age. It’s worth a shot.

aging seems to be he best cure for lousy young red wine but can be hard to let it sit. I now bottle a few in 375ml bottles for sampling so that i don't waste an entire 750ml bottle before its time

Can you smell this sulphur without tasting? Rotten eggs or sewer like smell? If so, then it is an H2S problem. Treat with reduless or do a splash racking

For future kids, buy separate yeast nutrients like FermaidK

H

Latest posts

Back