3:1 Simple Syrup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
If I heated up 3:1 simple syrup (3 cups sugar to 1 cup water) to be used to back sweeten wine, how cool do I need to let it get too? If I let it cool to much it starts getting to hard to add. Is it all right if it is a little warm?

I don't do a lot of back sweetening but I can't imagine a little warm would hurt. I always make mine ahead of time and it's at room temperature when added. Remember you don't want to add too much to start. I wait a day or 2 after the first dose and by then it will definitely be at room temp.

That is the issue. With 3:1 if I wait until too cool, it’s to thick and hard.

Last edited:
Also, when making simple syrup, don't add sugar to boiling water and don't boil your mixture. Mix the water and sugar and simmer until clear. Otherwise you are making rock candy. As noted, the max really is 2:1.

Ya I was hoping to add less volume that way.
For backsweetening wine, I don't use syrup, just plain 'ole cane sugar -- I use a drilled mounted stirring rod and pour a very thin stream into the wine, and have no problems with it dissolving. However -- like Fred I don't backsweeten many wines, and my version of "sweet" is pretty dry to most folks. Depending on how much you're sweetening the wine, this may not work as well, although it adds the least possible volume.

I work in 1/8 or 1/4 cup increments, stir the sugar well into the wine, and taste. Repeat as needed. There is an element of risk in backsweetening the entire batch like this, but there is also a risk is messing up the calculation when bench testing with small amounts.

When making liqueurs like limoncello, I make syrup, but I'm also intentionally adding volume to reduce the ABV from 40% to 30%.

Also, when making simple syrup, don't add sugar to boiling water and don't boil your mixture. Mix the water and sugar and simmer until clear. Otherwise you are making rock candy. As noted, the max really is 2:1.
I've never saved 2:1 syrup when I made it, I always added it all in, so I never realized it would make rock candy. Interesting!

For my last batches of liqueur (cherry cognac and leftover limoncello base) I made a 1:1 syrup, as I prefer less sweet. I goofed and had a cup of syrup left over, which I put in a bottle in the fridge. I used it up in other things over the following 2 weeks. I 'spose if it had been a 2:1 syrup, it probably would have crystalized.

When I make it I always make more than I think I'll need and always have some left over. I also do 2:1 and have kept it unrefrigerated for months without it crystalizing. The trick as @VinesnBines said is simmer it slowly and wait for it to clear. The clearing thing is kind of neat since one starts it clears in a matter of seconds.

Thanks for the feed back.
I alway let mine simmer and my 2:1 simple syrup I never have an issue either.
I have 5 gal raspberry that I am needing to add 64 oz of 2:1 simple syrup to. I was hoping to cut some of the volume down by making a 3:1. I’ll just stick to the 2:1.

My finished wine is 13.4 abv and adding 1/2 gal simple syrup, it lowers to 12.45 Abv. I do have some 151 ever clear to bump it back up And it has plenty of bold flavor to handle the reduction. May help some on the TA too. It is pretty high.

There is a thread out there called making and using simple syrup on this forum

I wouldn't want the syrup to be higher than 120 F, and that may be a bit high. All the references I've seen call for 2:1 syrup -- your problem is likely the underlying reason.

I agree 💯%. That ratio of 3:1 is too high to begin with. 2:1 seems better 🤷‍♂️

I've ended up with extra simple syrup (SS) many times and I just keep it in the fridge. Now I did have it turn to rock candy once but by letting sit out and warm up and adding in some warm I was able to re-constitute it to a liquid. Just have to keep track of how much water you added to the container so that you can re-establish that 2:1 Ratio. AND I agree a 3:1 mix is going to be a bit tough to work with unless you add it while still warm-ish.
How warm? If you can't easily hold the container in your bare hands, it's too warm to add to your wine. SO if it thickens up at that warmth, yeah go to 2:1 instead.

When making my simple syrup I normally use a microwave and heat 1 cup of water for 3 minutes, Then add the 2 cups of sugar. Most times I have to put it back in the microwave for 1 minute more and then stir and let it sit to confirm all sugar is dissolved. While waiting I can go ahead and get the K-meta and K-Sorbate added and stirred in before I add the SS. As long as I can hold that Pyrex 4 cup measuring container then I feel it's safe to add to the wine.

Also I would have your wine in a bucket for this. If you are going to bottle immediate you will be ready to go. If you are going to let the wine age a little more or wait for any possible precipitates to drop, then return it to you carboy (s). Just remember that you increased your volume a little with the simple syrup so you will have a glass to enjoy then.

As to diluting the wine with a 2:1 vs a 3:1 mix, hopefully my wine is not so thin in flavor or ABV that 3-5 oz into a gallon is going to make any significant difference. That in fact is one reason to always go high on volume of fruit in your wine and overall volume of the batch. Loss of volume when you remove the lees and dilution when back-sweetening are all easily compensated for as you prepare your wine must. For a 3 gallon batch of peach wine I start with at least 4 to 4 1/2 gallons of wine must. For 3 gallons of Blueberry I start 3 3/4 gallons. The easiest way to check with some fruit is after you have everything in the fermenting bucket, lift out that fruit bag and see where the volume drops to. Knowing how much the fruit in that bag will break down and become liquid is just something you have to learn by doing a few times. Starting high on fruit and volume should NEVER cause an issue. Don't think I have ever heard someone say: "Nuts, I made too much wine." or "Awww, the fruit flavor is too strong in this wine."

Last edited:
If you read and follow the instructions on making simple syrup my way once it’s cooled down in the ball jar just place it on a shelf it should stay clear a very usable for at least 2 years.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 2 - Copy.jpg
    2 - Copy.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3 - Copy.jpg
    3 - Copy.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg