2nd racking / degassing and bung advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To spent that kind of money, unless you want a new toy, then go for it.
@dswendell - IMHO, Padrino should have said "To spend that kind of money, unless you want a new TOOL, then go for it." The AIO is definitely not a toy. Do you have a hand corker or a floor corker? I wouldn't consider a floor corker a toy either. They're both just more expensive tools to make your hobby more enjoyable. If you can afford the tool, you will not regret it. If my floor corker broke, I don't think I would do a single batch with a hand corker, much less 2 or 3. Same goes for my vacuum pump.
My opinion, of course.

Did my first bottling with a hand corker just a couple days ago. Worked surprisingly well. Wasn't particularly ergonomic kneeling on the floor, but if you had a good setup with the right table height, I think the hand corker can work pretty good.

I used a hand corker for several years. Even made a wooden jig to hold bottle on a table while corking. But when I bought a used floor corker WOW. What a difference! So much easier, faster and no spills.

So much easier, faster and no spills.
My point exactly. A vacuum pump is the same. Not an expensive toy, but a tool that makes everything so much easier, faster and no spills. You can certainly do without it, as most do, but once you can afford one, wine-making becomes even more enjoyable.

After the basic fermenters, carboys and various tubing my first tool purchase was the floor corker. With my 64 year old hands it was a necessity. Next was a buon vino bottle filler my wife found on used eBay for cheap. Then a couple of months ago the All in One pump. I probably wouldn’t have bought the Buon Vino unit if I’d bought the AIO first but my wife likes it and we enjoy doing the bottling together. She fills, I cork, we both drink. As said above, if you do the math they have paid for themselves. They definitely make the process more enjoyable. IMHO.

Latest posts

Back