2nd Life for Barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I have a 5 year old, 23 liter Vadai that I use for kits. It's been great, but my red kit volume has been dropping considerably and I'm not sure I want to go through the trouble of keeping this one up. And I have two others that I use for grape wines that are plenty for keeping up with my volume there. I suppose I could simply keep it full with a KMeta/Citric cocktail in between batches. In the event that I don't, any ideas for how to use an old, small barrel? Obviously, I could cut one end off and use it as a planter. But I figure I'd only get a few years out of it before it rots and would need to be tossed.

Is it neutral? It would cool for grain storage or a side table in the man cave. Or put a bladder and a tap in it for large get togethers. It still has value for sure.

our local LHBS has a wine club and my wife asked to buy one of their old barrels (55gal) so we could make a table out of it. No problem, just got the call and the owner warned me to "hurry and get it so it doesn't dry out". Somehow the signals got crossed, I don't know where he got the idea I made 55 gallon batches......lol......I think all the wine stains add character. Can't wait.........

If you like woodworking, you could try to make cheeseboards out of the heads and, perhaps, curved serving trays out of the staves. I have seen these in the past and they are pretty cool.

Before I do that, however, I would have to be convinced that you do not have any more use of it as a barrel.

If you like woodworking

For ideas what to do with old wine barrels, lumberjocks.com is the place to go:

62429-438x.jpg

235215-438x.jpg

412680-438x.jpg

214366-438x.jpg

280477-438x.jpg

1062378-438x.jpg

I have an old barrel that i removed one head from, keep it in the wine room with a trash bag in it and use it as a trash can, fits in perfectly with the décor. You could also consider taking it apart, planning down the heads and staves, reassemble and have a reconditioned "new" barrel to use as your others wear out. Personally, I'd buy a new one before going through the ordeal, but it's an option..........

Latest posts

Back