2nd batch of DB...help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claywine12204

Reaction score
So this is my second DB batch with slight variations just to learn a bit from experimenting. So this time around I did a 70/30 mix of white sugar to brown and instead of pouring the sugar in, I inverted the sugar. My question is I'm almost at 24 hours in the primary and not pitched yet, but I don't see any activity. The first time I did this I saw some foamy activity by now, but his time it's nothing. Did I do anything wrong? Looking back I may have not inverted exactly as I am reading now. First I didn't add lemon to the pot when I was heating it up since it was already in the primary, and I did not let it cool when I added it to the primary with the nutrients, pectic and energizer.

Did I mess it up?
Thanks,

Get the yeast in there and it should take off. Don't know what you had foaming, but bet you pitched the yeast right away to get it to go the first time.Arne.

You need to know your starting sg reading of your hydrometer also why would there be activity if you haven't pitched the yeast yet, if you see activity before yeast it's probably not a good thing with that style of wine did you add Camden tablets at start? Not trying to beat you up but you will need to know your reading or at least how much sugar and volume of liquid you have for help. I'm sure others will comment but it will help with the process to know your readings and volume.

I'm sure it's fine pitch the yeast and wait if there is enough sugar it will work also do you know if there was a different room temp between batches it can make a difference. Good luck and be patient.

The starting SG is 1.082 after adding the fruit bag. I pretty much followed the directions of Danger Daves DB step by step except the I inverted the sugar and added some brown sugar instead of all white.

The previous batches that ended up working out great I remember noticing some purplish foam after 24 hours and this batch is clear so I was curious if the yeast energizer or nutrient had any affect on that.

Latest posts

Back