2nd Attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarab52

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just came across this forum when looking for ideas on how to improve my winemaking skills.
Have been making beer for ages (my husband likes it) but I prefer wine. Have made one batch of wine from a kit (Cab Sav) so far, which came out pretty drinkable. My friends like it, but it's a little more "fruity" and not as complex as I was hoping. Hoping I can find some ideas on how to improve the nest batch.

Hi Sarab52 - and welcome. Not an expert on wine kits, but if you give us an idea of the kit you purchased we may be able to highlight some issues with that kit or kits in general. That said, kits are designed to be made by first -time winemakers and they are often made by very seasoned winemakers too. One problem is that because the kit manufacturer is dependent on the wine maker buying the next kit and not simply the first and only kit, they often suggest that the wine is ready for drinking when the wine is still very "green" . That means that your carboy is empty and is begging to be filled but in fact the wine could benefit from another 3 , 6 or even 12 months of aging.

Welcome and congratulations on beginning this journey. You’ve come to the right place for advice. The direction your journey takes is totally up to you but rest assured there is someone on this forum who can help you. There are advanced winemakers who do wine from grapes, others who make fruit wines and people like me who only do kit wines. I agree with what has been said on this thread already and especially what @BernardSmith said about giving us more detail about what you are doing. There is a ton of info here. If you click on the FORUMS button at the top you will see various themes to look into. I encourage you to do that but if we know things like what brand and level of kits are you trying, along with details of your process like equipment used and SG readings through the process, you will get more specific advice/thoughts/opinions. Be advised that asking 10 winemakers a question may get 10 to 20 answers. Good luck, have fun and the No. 1 piece of advice you’ll hear, be patient.

Hi all,
I just came across this forum when looking for ideas on how to improve my winemaking skills.
Have been making beer for ages (my husband likes it) but I prefer wine. Have made one batch of wine from a kit (Cab Sav) so far, which came out pretty drinkable. My friends like it, but it's a little more "fruity" and not as complex as I was hoping. Hoping I can find some ideas on how to improve the nest batch.
Welcome to the forum! I'd try Finer Wine Kits as they're designed with skins, seeds, and other things to make them more complex, and they end up dry for me. 40% off now at Label Peelers now.

Forte style: Wine Making - Wine Kits - Finer Wine Kits Forte Series - Label Peelers
Tavola style: Wine Making - Wine Kits - Finer Wine Kits Tavola Reds - Label Peelers
Whites and roses: Wine Making - Wine Kits - Finer Wine Kits Whites & Blushes - Label Peelers
Fruit wines: Wine Making - Wine Kits - Finer Wine Kits Frutta Series - Label Peelers

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@asimms1

Also take a look around this forum and you'll see threads/posts for FWK and Finer Wine Kits.

Welcome to WMT from another relative newbie.
@Jovimaple mentioned the Tweaking Cheap Kits thread, so I thought I would link it.
Thank
Welcome to the forum! I'd try Finer Wine Kits as they're designed with skins, seeds, and other things to make them more complex, and they end up dry for me. 40% off now at Label Peelers now.

Forte style: Wine Making - Wine Kits - Finer Wine Kits Forte Series - Label Peelers
Tavola style: Wine Making - Wine Kits - Finer Wine Kits Tavola Reds - Label Peelers
Whites and roses: Wine Making - Wine Kits - Finer Wine Kits Whites & Blushes - Label Peelers
Fruit wines: Wine Making - Wine Kits - Finer Wine Kits Frutta Series - Label Peelers

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@asimms1

Also take a look around this forum and you'll see threads/posts for FWK and Finer Wine Kits.
Awesome
Thank you!!!

Hi Sarab52 - and welcome. Not an expert on wine kits, but if you give us an idea of the kit you purchased we may be able to highlight some issues with that kit or kits in general. That said, kits are designed to be made by first -time winemakers and they are often made by very seasoned winemakers too. One problem is that because the kit manufacturer is dependent on the wine maker buying the next kit and not simply the first and only kit, they often suggest that the wine is ready for drinking when the wine is still very "green" . That means that your carboy is empty and is begging to be filled but in fact the wine could benefit from another 3 , 6 or even 12 months of aging.

Thanks Bernard!

The kit I used was an inexpensive one from Wild Grapes . I really wanted to just get the hang of the process . I did read a little bit in advance about that particular kit and made only 5 gallons instead of 6. The general consensus seemed that making 6 gallons produced a fairly thin wine. Like I said originally, the wine has aged about 9 months so far and it’s definitely drinkable just not very complex and not as dry as I was hoping.

I’m getting ready to try again and I’ll probably use a different kit. However any & all suggestions are warmly welcomed!

Again, I most definitely do not consider myself an expert on wine kits but my sense is that you get what you pay for, and because kits really do hold your hand as you make them. Instructions are clear and all ingredients have been measured and included based on the kit manufacturer's knowledge of the parameters (pH , tannins, sugar content of the juice) , the more expensive the kit, the bigger the bang you are going to get for your buck. Cheaper grapes will result in poorer quality juice and top quality fruit will result in far more complex flavors - but that said, kit makers tend to include a fail safe yeast (because they are far more dependent on novice wine makers buying a second or third kit than seasoned wine makers - quite simply, the less tapped market is with first time buyers -so for any next kit you buy -and that could be another kit from Wild Grapes you may want to check out the different yeast labs' spec sheets and the kinds of wines they suggest each variety of yeast is best suited for.
That said, You suggest that the wine is not as dry as you hoped. That is interesting. Did you keep notes on the starting gravity and the gravity as you bottled? (or if it is still bulk aging, the last gravity you took?

Thanks Bernard!

The kit I used was an inexpensive one from Wild Grapes . I really wanted to just get the hang of the process . I did read a little bit in advance about that particular kit and made only 5 gallons instead of 6. The general consensus seemed that making 6 gallons produced a fairly thin wine. Like I said originally, the wine has aged about 9 months so far and it’s definitely drinkable just not very complex and not as dry as I was hoping.

I’m getting ready to try again and I’ll probably use a different kit. However any & all suggestions are warmly welcomed!
Not a kit maker but I know they have a lot of discussions here about tweaking wine kits… I believe there is a long-running post on that very topic.

Is your wine bottled or bulk aging? If in bulk there are still some adjustments you can make. Oak, glycerin, pH… etc.

Thanks Bernard!

I am a near complete newbie with only 4 wines so far under my belt, with 3 of them being kit wines. I have done two WineExpert classic 1 gallon, and a Finer Wine Kit Pinot Noir Forte. The difference between the two brands (imho) is night and day. Not that the WE kits are bad, but they are a completely different when it comes to the tier of wine that can be made.
Essentially - you get what you pay for in a kit wine. If you are looking for a 6 gallon kit, I would go for the Finer Wine Kits.
-
My $.02 for your consideration.

Latest posts

Back