2nd Attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loumik

Reaction score
I am ready for my 2nd attempt. The first attempt turned out suprisingly well.
I am considering one of the following kits and wondered if anyone out there had experience with any of these kits.

Wineexperts Cabernet Sauvignon

RJ Spagnols California Woodbridge Cabernet Sauv.

Ken Ridge French Cabernet Sauv.

Ken Ridge Founders Series Cab/Shiraz

Any information or comments about any of these kits would be appreciated.

Thanks

loumik:

Of the four kits listed you have provided the full name of only one.

1. Winexpert Cab Sauv - which of several? perhaps the Crushendo Sonoma Valley?
2. RJS - appears to be the En Primeur
3. KR French Cab Sauv - this is the Showcase kit
4. KR FS Australian Cab/Shiraz

Three of the four above kits have grape skins. I would not recommend a grape skin kit as a second attempt for somebody. You may not have gained enough experience making wine to handle the grape skins. In general, the wines need more time to allow full settling before bottling, and they also shouldn't be consumed before 12-18-24 months.

I haven't made any of those kits, but have heard some really good things about the KR FS Australian Cab/Shiraz, and would definitely like to make that one.

Steve

I dont think a grape skin kit is any harder with the exception of being a little more messier. The only real thing with these is they need more aging.

Thank you all for the input, this is what I was looking for. I know that these better wines will require 12 or more months of ageing and I'm planning to allow them as much time as necessary. I know I'm inexperienced but I plan to go slow and carefully and ask alot of questions. I will also be doing another quicky kit for drinking in the meantime.

Thanks Again, you'll probably be hearing from me soon.:r

Back